Calculating Waste

Guest wftech

Does anyone know of any calculators or estimating tools available to help calculate film requirements including waste on big flat glass jobs? I know carpet installers have a program they use it seems we should be able to use something similar. Doing the calculations manually takes too long when you're trying to provide on the spot quotes for a customer.

Wftech :wall

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you just use Microsoft Excel and create a spreadsheet for doing all of your estimates. I have done that for both auto estimates, and flat-glass quotes.

In my flat glass estimator, I can enter the width of the roll necessary, and it will calculate the square footage of film that is actually used, and the square footage of film trashed. Mine only allows for one film width, 'cause I do not carry a large inventory, and order film as necessary for flat-glass jobs.

Guest windoworx

I know we have been down this road once before. CP distributes some software for about $300.00. I think its called MOS. I was given a trial version. If you're a one man show, I don't think it is needed. If you have a busy sales team, it may be worth it. You enter all your sizes with the room name and the type of film and it calculates. I just usually add up the grid and multiply by the highest possible number. The I measure the glass size for film purposes. Keep it simple.

OT, you would be amazed how people calculate square footage. I have two companies here calculate the squares of glass only and price it out cheap. They will be in shock at the end trying to figure out why a 500 square foot roll only did 350 square feet of glass.

If it is a 39" x 80" window, you will be using a 48" roll to lay it in. You charge for the 48" roll length

39" is 21.7 sq space

48" is 26.7 sq film used

That means you are wasting five squares for each window you install. If you install 30 panes, thats 150 square feet of film laying on the ground you paid for. That is a half of a 36" roll. Add that up once a week for the year and see where your checkbook is.

Seriously, when measuring just figure the width of the film required to do the job and multiply the length. You will be fine.

Archived