Boat windshield advice..................

Guest Kelly's

Guest Kelly's

I have to do my first boat windshield next week for a good customer of mine and was wondering if any of you could give me tips from experience. I guess if I had to relate it to an auto it would be the rear windshield of an earlier saturn............has pretty much the same curvature.

Here is an idea of what I'm dealing with:

conventionalcurvedwindshi7ct.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brice

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie

saturn similar.

just keep in mind which direction that factory edge is facing once wrapped around that corner piece.

been a while since I did one. but I think the last one I did I was running low on film so I was trying to be thrifty. I had a scrap piece that fit one of the corners if it was layed down with the factory edge cocked at an angle. the other just came straight off a 20" roll.

the angled piece shrunk the curve better.

Guest Kelly's
saturn similar.

just keep in mind which direction that factory edge is facing once wrapped around that corner piece.

[*]330530

Good thought. I'll keep in mind.

Thanks

From the reflection, it looks like it only bends in one direction, no compound curve to shrink...gravy.

[*]330531

:evilgrin Use a color-satble product or it will go south in no time with the sun hitting the film surface front side and back.

Guest Beeline
I have to do my first boat windshield next week for a good customer of mine and was wondering if any of you could give me tips from experience.  I guess if I had to relate it to an auto it would be the rear windshield of an earlier saturn............has pretty much the same curvature.

Here is an idea of what I'm dealing with:

conventionalcurvedwindshi7ct.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Brice

[*]330519

If the windows are out of the boat it will be easier than you think. If the windows are in the boat it is a pain. The dash gets in the way.

Guest tintgod
take the windows out from the frame.

[*]330589

:evilgrin ...and it they are not out of the boat..see if you can take them out..or have a glass company take them out..it will be alot less of a headache if they are out of the boat and out of the frames..as for the curve...they are not that hard...on the curved one..the glass does curl up a bit..so you can run into a problem with it not wanting to stick there..just take your time..and it will lay down..and it will take a 40" roll on those..trust me...cuz your going to want it angled a bit to be able to shrink the curve right...

good luck :)

taking the windows aint all that hard, on the top part of the frame there are screws, take them all out all on the top, after, before yanking out the fames, spray some wd40 all around to loosen them up. after that, start popping those suckers out.......

Archived