non see-through tint?

Guest mikehende

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe a paint or film might not be the answer here, maybe there is a certain type of window material that does this, I will look into this and get back to you guys.

[*]336606

this should be interesting. perhaps call ferrari and buy it from for $5000 :spit

Guest mikehende

I know for sure that there are windows like this, seen one once before, the outside pane was kind of "rough" and the inside pane was smooth, it was regular shade not tint but it worked, just got to find it and if I do then maybe I could still use tint spray on the outside to give it the dark look! Due to my son playing Basketball, all 4 original glass from the windows got broken so I replaced them myself with Plexi, if I do find the type of glass mentioned above and I can get it cut to size then I can easily replace the plexi myself, think I will do a search on both Windows and glass manufacturers, I'm getting close guys.

Guest TintPoser
I know for sure that there are windows like this, seen one once before, the outside pane was kind of "rough" and the inside pane was smooth, it was regular shade not tint but it worked, just got to find it and if I do then maybe I could still use tint spray on the outside to give it the dark look! Due to my son playing Basketball, all 4 original glass from the windows got broken so I replaced them myself with Plexi, if I do find the type of glass mentioned above and I can get it cut to size then I can easily replace the plexi myself, think I will do a search on both Windows and glass manufacturers, I'm getting close guys.

[*]336697

:lol6

I got some switchl-lite I could sell you. on/off glass......

Guest nautiboi73

only way I have ever gotten over this problem was to tint the window first with Silver, lets say 20%. Then go behind it with a darker film, like DL 05. This will make it darker on the inside over 90% of the time. Keep in mind the stress that the glass may recieve, Although I think that the glass will react the same was as if just the Silver was on it.

Just a suggestion. Oh and that the layering will void all waranty I think.

Guest mikehende

You are correct Blade, I just got this info from searching the net and calling up some Glass manufacturers, bottom line, it can be done with "One way mirrors" [or see through mirrors] but it depends on the lighting on BOTH sides of the glass, what I am thinking as a possible workaround and I ran this by the Glass guy and he agrees that this should work, is for me to place a smal light directly above the windows, this will create the "glare" for anyone looking at it from the outside and should block out all view inside the Garage no matter how bright the light will be in there so I am going to give this a try, the guy said I can get a small 4" square piece just to test. The main problem with this now is that these one way mirrors are very expensive, one price I saw was $40-something for an 11x16 of which I will need 4 so I will have to do some looking around to see where I can get this the cheapest.

I will experiment with the lighting outside to see how "minimal" this lighting can be, I am thinking of using 1 very small xmas tree-sized bulb over each window on the outside so I will start with this and work my way up. Now that I think of it, this explains why the "Pub" situation which I had mentioned in my first post worked, I was standing right outside the door which was brighly lit of course so this explains why I could not see anything inside the Pub, I don't wish to have any really bright or large light outside my Garage door so I will try the small bulbs for this purpose, the main reason I think this will work is because I never have a regular light on inside, I have colored Disco type lights and Black lights so I shouldn't need much lighting outside, will know for sure when I do the actual experiment, at any rate, so there is a solution, the power of the net man!

one way mirror effect might work,

but its not window film you know.

one way mirror, when in an interrogation room, you see a mirror right? behind the mirror are the people observing the interrogation, they always have the lights "off" instead of "on", why you say? cause it does the same effect as window film. you can try.

Guest mikehende

I am aware of how it works now but the cheapest I can get this glass is at $35 a piece and to be honest since I am looking for "privacy" here, I don't really like the idea of having to leave a bright light on on the outside of the Garage door so I am not 100% sure that this is what I want but if better can't be done then what I have to look into is exactly what it is they use to get the mirrored effect? I figure that if I can get this material whatever it is [film or some special kind of glaze or other liquid?], then maybe I can apply it myself.