non see-through tint?

Guest mikehende

Guest Mobile1
I am aware of how it works now but the cheapest I can get this glass is at $35 a piece and to be honest since I am looking for "privacy" here, I don't really like the idea of having to leave a bright light on on the outside of the Garage door so I am not 100% sure that this is what I want but if better can't be done then  what I have to look into is exactly what it is they use to get the mirrored effect? I figure that if I can get this material whatever it is [film or some special kind of glaze or other liquid?], then maybe I can apply it myself.

[*]337148

Yes, the bright lights outside the garage will attract attention to whatever substance you are growing inside of your garage, hence the freakish need for privacy right?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikehende

Most people who read my posts seem to think I may be gambling, running a strip joint, smoking pot or something like that and I can't really blame anyone :spit Thing is, I am just a very private person and use my garage to simply hang out on a Saturday evening, all I do is play music, drink some Coors Light and relax which is why I have the dark Disco lights, my Garage is decorated like a pub. I just don't feel comfortable knowing that my neigbors can be peeping at me from inside their homes watching my every move.

The problem I have with having a bright light outside the Garage door is that it will alert visitors when I am in there, something which I have been working on eliminating for a while now as the firends and relatives use to drop by in "droves" and I could never get a chance to relax in peace with just my wife and 2 boys so I try to keep a low profile, this way when the visitors drive by and stop in front of my house to see if I am in there I want them to keep on driving!!

Mike here is the deal :thumb window film and one way mirror glass ARE NOT GOING TO WORK for what you want to do it's the nature of the products

black out the windows and don't answer the freaking door if you want privacy and if you need to see whats happening outside get a cheapo video cam from radio shack

Guest mikehende
black out the windows and don't answer the freaking door if you want privacy and if you need to see whats happening outside get a cheapo video cam from radio shack

[*]337531

I think this is a GREAT idea, the videocam I mean, I will look into it [thanks]. Regarding the "blacking out the windows", problem with this is I need the light from the windows during the daytime, I am wondering now if I can add something "removable" to place on top of the existing plexi on the outside? This way I can simply put it on at night and remove it during the daytime?

Guest mikehende

Actually this should be very simple, if I can get magnetic mats made of the same material as the removable stickers you use on windows for Halloween, xmas e.t.c, this should do the trick. I am also looking into 2 possible alternatives

1] Getting those mats/stickers mentioned above but try out the ones that have "designs" on them.

2] I have already ordered samples of "frosted" glass type films to place on top of the existing dark tint.

Appreciate the tips/help guys and will look to explore every avenue before settling on any one thing, will keep you guys informed, thanks.

Guest mikehende
only way I have ever gotten over this problem was  to tint the window first with Silver, lets say 20%.  Then go behind it with a darker film, like DL 05.  This will make it darker on the inside over 90% of the time.  Keep in mind the stress that the glass may recieve,  Although I think that the glass will react the same was as if just the Silver was on it.  .

[*]336730

Hey, sorry, I only saw this post just now while going back though the entire thread again, the email notifications doesn't always work. Anyway, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that I would need to tint the window "twice", once with Silver and then with dark tint? Also, regarding

"the stress that the glass may receive"

which you wrote, does this apply to "plexi"? Can I use your method on plexi and not regular glass?

I think I may have forgotten to give you guys one very important piece of info, I apologize, I don't neccesarily need to block out the entire view from the outside so I can accept if anyone outside sees "shadows" or blurry movements on the inside, what I don't want is for anyone to be able to see us "clearly", does this change the situation now?

if the windows are plexi you're screwed. plastics outgas. meaning the tint will eventually bubble and look like hell. then removing the tint will cause more problems because removing the glue means scraping the window. razor blades and plexi don't mix well.

back to square one. replace the windows.

Guest darkdan

Geez, I said you can't tint plexi like 2 weeks ago on this thread!

Also, tinting one side with 20% silver and the other side with 5% doesn't make a 2 way mirror. It makes a mirror!

I did that on a training room this year. You can just ever so barely barely see out of it. Have to get about 2 inchs from the window and cup your hands.

Edited by darkdan

Guest mikehende
Geez, I said you can't tint plexi like 2 weeks ago on this thread!

[*]339367

The existing plexi I have on there have been tinted by myself going on 3 years now and nowhere on any of those 4 windows can you see any "bubbles" or the tint coming loose, enough said?