Subaru Outback Wagon

tintinater

I thought I'd done one of these before, but I don't remember the rear quarters being such a pain.

First of all the seat belt thingy comes down the whole window, about 2 inches from the glass, and doesn't flex much at all.

Second, the damn thing had an aweful lot of fingers, it was like those old Probes, where you heat up one finger and it turns into two bigger ones. I'm a stretcher, my first instinct isn't to shrink, so I ended up redoing them, shrinking them this time.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone taken this rear panel off to remove the seat belt thingy, how much of a pain in the ass is it? I was able to tint it , I squeegeed, flushed the hell out of it, peeled about three quarters of it, slide it behind the seat belt thingy, positioned it, peeled the rest, done. But it could have been cleaner.

These are a cakewalk after a couple..I do lots of them :woowoo

It's all in where you hold the peice for loading it in..hard to explain in type..the key is lots of slip so you can slide it along the glass to its destination. I place it as close to the belt as I can keeping the rest of it away from the glass , then pick up the very top edge corner again from the other side of the belt and slide it into place removing nothing for a clean install (after heatshrinking piece..forgot that part ) Hope this made SOME sense :mad

Guest tint-it

Don't worry bout the seatbelt bracket. Just go slow and lay the film... as for heat shrinking it, keep the factory edge on the straight edge of the rear quarter... squeegee the curved edges and shrink the factory edge. it's easy Potsy - "I'm a stretcher" - I love it

Guest FiftyShadesFL

I just did one.  The Seat belts suck, but you can easily tuck under if you shrink the film right, prior.  You will get the fingers on the window.  Shrink before you lay it on the inside, just like the Probe/Sable/Taurus Wagons.  The frameless windows are a walk in the park, just make sure you don't cut the film too long at the bottom, or it will not tuck, they have close support frames at the bottom beneath the seal.  The glass is very flat, zero fingers.

The rear was a pain, but not as bad as most.  The plastics on the 2001's sit way too close to the glass on the inside, and I had several holidays since it wouldn't tuck underneath.  I really wish it was a hatch glass like the Sable.  I one-piece dry shrinked it, and was good to go.  I used the pull and shrink method, and was surprised, that's the first time I've done it that way.

Other than that, easy car.

Archived