What am I missing?

Guest 727Capt

Guest 727Capt

O.K. I own a 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport and a 73 Jeep Commando Wagon. I don't do much racing or car shows. I spend time on the trails and in the mud. Some would refer to me as a redneck - I like not to think so. Anyway, my question and concern is about all the coffee can mufflered Hondas around (or is it just where I live?).

I've noticed recently, within the past 4-5 years that 80% of the Hondas sound like weed eaters. They have yellow bumpers and grey bodies. Most don't even have wheel covers on the steel rim. Now I understand that the Honda Civic is an inexpensive way to get a quicker than stock car. If these guys have the money for all of these after-market products, why can't they get their cars painted and install a low rumble sounding exhaust?

Now I don't know who drives what here. I don't want this to be a Honda bashing session. I would just like to know. I have seen a few good looking Hondas that sound nice. Why are those few and far between?

Just a section from my collection of thoughts.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my friend,

these are people who are fixing they're cars on a "budget", meaning they're adding stuff to they're car eveyr paycheck they get. unlike a pilots salary :inot but yea I do know what you mean, to me I imagine them as being LAWNMOWERS driving around the streets sounding like rice is burning. to me they're funny, whenever im in our 86 astro van, at the stop light I can take off and just smoke them! :DD so I dont know man, maybe its a young guy thing or what, but to each its own. guess us 4wheelers got to mind our business and keep mudding instead of paying attention to some rice rockets out there..

with me specializing in the the import performance alot of the time some customers just want to by the cheap stuff they find on ebay and other websites. that why some of these cars not just honda sound the way they do. I see it every day, half of my customer will fork up the $500 to buy a name brand exhaust sytem that sounds great while the other half would rather spend $200 on a cheap weld on muffler that sound loud and crappy.

on the body kit side, I cant say why they drive around without it painted. again half of my customers who buy a body kit from us usually are taking thier car to the paint shop after we install it or have us pre fit the kit, paint it and then reinstall it. but then again its not all hondas owners that are doing this. some people buy a kit and then cant afford the paint so they just drive around with it primered :inot. its not up to me to tell them not to buy it if they cant afford to paint, im in business to make money and I could care less what they do with their cars after im done with it, if their happy my pockets are happy.

most of the time it teenagers that dont have very good jobs that pay crap and they are following others that are buying all these crappy cheap china and taiwanese parts that are knock-off of the real parts made in japan. I have been in business for years and what I notice as these kids get older and get better jobs they realize what they have bought in the past and have begin to buy quality parts.

I call them Fart Cannons.

When a young guy gets his first car, what's the first thing he wants to do?

"Fix it up", the cheapest and most noticable thing is a Fart Cannon.

Well.... maybe the AutoZone spinner hubcaps are first, but after a few paychecks... you can get a shiney new bumble bee fartin in a Mason jar.!!!!

Guest 727Capt

Spinner Hub-Caps have been around for a while. I'm an Assistant Scout Master with a Boy Scout Troop in Charlotte. We put them on our Scout Trailer and took it to camp as a joke one year. Wouldn't ya know - they got stolen. Hey thanks for the insight. I guess I didn't think about it too much. I buy quality items for the Jeep (with the exception of my $6 push starter), but I wouldn't purchase and install a lift kit without having a new set of wheels and tires to go with it. I had to laugh this morning on the way into work. I saw an older DSM (Laser I think it was) with a home-grown body kit. The kit looked as if it were viynal sideing spray painted white. It looked good for 100 yards.

Archived