What would you do??

We went on vacation in October.

Came back a week later and all was well, until last week, a customer calls the shop, says he had a leak fixed and it's still leaking.

Come to find out one of my guys did the job on the side, in my shop and pocketed the cash.

Needless to say I "let him go" and I charged the customer again myself to repair his truck correctly. After all he knew he was having it done on the sly in the first place.

What would you have done??? :beer

This guy could've sullied the reputation it took me 8 years to build.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VOLTRON

well I wouldnt go so far as to say trust no one, thats a lonely life. But I think you did the right thing. I dont think it is a big deal if someone does side work but to do it at your shop I think is bs.

You did the right thing. Only one question I have though :

Like drinking and driving..if you get caught by the law..the odds are it's not the only time you've done it..it's just the only time you've got caught. The problem could possibly more serious than just the one incident that you know of :beer

there is no other way to handle stealing IMHO

....except add a kick in the nutz? :beer

[*]353347

The thought crossed my mind! :beer

You did the right thing. Only one question I have though :

Like drinking and driving..if you get caught by the law..the odds are it's not the only time you've done it..it's just the only time you've got caught. The problem could possibly more serious than just the one incident that you know of? :beer

[*]353352

You are correct there, some other things came to light after the fact.

I'm glad I nipped it in the bud.

Just thought I'd let the guys work while I took off for a week, not to mention try to make some money for the biz. AND we brought back gifts for everyone.

I believe, next time it may be more cost effective to just close up shop for the week. :beer

well I wouldn't go so far as to say trust no one, thats a lonely life. But I think you did the right thing. I don't think it is a big deal if someone does side work but to do it at your shop I think is bs.

[*]353344

:nope

I had an employee take cash sales over the course of a week... when I approached her she said she was going to ask for a loan from me... I said to her that if that were true she would have not taken the receipts to hide the missing cash and would have asked before taking it.

Sent her walking, too. She says, but I have kids to feed. :thumb

My reply was that I would not mention the incident to anyone if they called for a reference so she could keep a job elsewhere to feed her kids. She worked at a competitor's shop for a number of years after leaving my place.

Had another incident where a customer came back asking for warranty work on some 5%. Couldn't produce a receipt cause he paid cash to the tinter. I gave him the tinter's addy... where he had moved to after leaving the employ of my shop and told the customer that is who he needs to see for warranty work. :thumb

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

that sounded fair, but did the customer know that he was getting the job done throught the employee and not your shop?

This post is the reason why I am scared to have employees at the shop while I'm not there. I got guys that work for me, and they are two of my best friends that I taught to tint, neither are full time though. One only tint a when I get real busy and the other is only able to do doors and 1/4's. I want to hire a full time tinter for the summer to take the work load off myself but the trust issue is the major factor. I'm not trying to buy film for that guy to be stealing my money and film!!! maybe I'll install cameras in the work bay.

Any business owner that thinks his staff are not fleecing him one way or the other is living in Pixieland.

I wouldn't cut any slack with bastards like that regardless of their personal circumstances (ref to Metint's ex-employee) because it's not "fair dinkum" for the next poor boss.

A real devil's anger has got nothing on me when I'm confronted with deliberate theft in any way, shape or form. :uh

Send them packin'

DWBA

Archived