Rudeness

Guest vclimber

Someone being an arse isn't going to hurt my feelings one bit and their money is as good as the next guys. There are defnitely limits to what any person can tolerate, but I'm going to do with in reason what I need to do to make money.

I'd personally rather bite my lip for a few minutes, get their money, and then have a 30 second pow-wow with everyone else making fun of the idiot that just left and get on with life with a couple more bucks in my wallet.

What good does it do anyone, especially a business owner, to put people in their place? I'm here to tint windows and do my job, not tell people who and what they are just to even the score because then I'm only as bad as they are. Be the better person, take their money with a smile, and you win. Those kind of people know what they are and what everyone thinks of them, so it does no good to try and prove a point that is pointless.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

What if someone comes into your shop and your employee is rude? If you are a one man show then you know how customers are being treated, but what if you have someone working the counter while you are installing or doing other things? Granted, their are rude customers out there and we all have our tolerance levels. But this is not about rude customers.

That is why I put this in the shop owners forum. I think some of you guys are missing the point and getting your shorts in a bunch... It is the end of the year, and when you review the year end numbers and are wondering why things are not as good as you might have expected, this might be a contributing factor. Shop owners that have employees might be losing customers to their competition because of the way their employees treat customers.

Deescalating an intense customer really isn't that hard to do 98% of the time. Granted, there are those few exceptions that they just can't be handled in a civil way on that given day, but given the right choice of words and your demeanor towards the customer, and you can be good buddies in a matter of moments.

You can read a customer just by the way he walks into your shop if he/she is happy, sad, mad, looking for a fight, etc. Quick wits and you starting the conversation in the opposite direction of what it was possibly going to be before they can start a fight keeps them at bay. Explaining things to them as well helps, but you have to do it in a way that leaves little or no room for question of your ability of the outcome of the install, the warranty, the price, etc.

Doesn't work 100% of the time by any means, but is very effecitive in keeping a good majority of them at ease.

Yeah, I may suck up at times to a customer, but why the hell not? I just lower the pride flag, let them empty their wallets into my pocket because that's what I'm there for....to make money. It isn't a matter of bending over for them even though it may feel like that at times, it's about making money. My self respect goes up a notch each time I handle a customer like we are talking about in a positive way even if they walk out the door after it all, because I know in the end I'm a better person than they are for conducting myself in a proper manner as best I could.

To each his own, but this is my attitude and the way I handle every person who walks through my door regardless of their intentions. And I don't lose any sleep over it, dwell or cry about what happened. It just becomes a distant memory and at times, a great laugh to tell the family when I get home, but I'm the one who's laughing through it all....not the customer.

What if someone comes into your shop and your employee is rude? If you are a one man show then you know how customers are being treated, but what if you have someone working the counter while you are installing or doing other things? Granted, their are rude customers out there and we all have our tolerance levels. But this is not about rude customers.

That is why I put this in the shop owners forum. I think some of you guys are missing the point and getting your shorts in a bunch... It is the end of the year, and when you review the year end numbers and are wondering why things are not as good as you might have expected, this might be a contributing factor. Shop owners that have employees might be losing customers to their competition because of the way their employees treat customers.

[*]354859

Sorry for helping jacking your thread, I wasn't even paying attention to the purpose of this thread :cool . Back on track. :dunno

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

Today a customer calls, and from his voice I can tell he is an older gentleman who most likely spent time in the military, and he is used to telling people what to do. He tells me he is coming in to check out my product and if he likes it he will be getting it done today. He says he called earlier in the week and that he told me he MIGHT be coming by on Wednesday and if he likes what he sees then he'll get his car tinted. So politely I tell him that he can come and check out our work, but we are full for the day and that our next opening is on Friday. He sounded annoyed and tells me that since he told me he was coming to check things out that he had an appointment, I felt like giving him a piece of my mind. But we both comprimised and he came in and ended up making the Friday appointment. I guess a little patience and giving the customer a little of your time pays.

Guest vclimber

:beer

You guys need to re-read. I'm not talking about a self-employed business owner... Just trying to help those with employees reevaluate things. Aren't we here to help one another? :drevil

no big deal dude...we just all have different ideas on when/if rudeness is necessary at all.

I also happen to be one who thinks the customer is rarely, if ever, right. in fact, the majority of the time they don't know shiat. and our shop's the most successful in our area. so, I guess we're still doing something right. :drevil like dodging bullets that cost companies money.

Archived