Need help re-doing someone elses paint job

Guest dimambro2

Guest dimambro2

Just like the title says, a buddy of mine wanted me to shave the door handles off his car for him and then repaint that section, but heres the catch who ever painted it before I got it didnt do it right at all. The car has pits in the clear, little dimples everywhere he also wanted me to see what I could do about that. any suggestions would be great! I started saving the handles yesterday and will be doing the body work within this week so get those helpful hints in here quick.

Thanks

Chris :passout

Guest MidcoastMW

what color is the car???? Your really just better off spraying the whole car after you complete the body work. I dont know if you were only gonna shoot color over the shaved handles and blend the clear to the edge of the door.....or blend the color outside of the door?? You will have to be the judge.

Bottom line, paint the whole car at one time for the best job. If I was in your shoes I would do that rather then blending the door then wetsanding and buffing the rest of the car. F*ck that! Charge him for the whole car and assure him he'll be happier that way.

Guest dimambro2

thanks that helps a bit, I tryed to explain this to the guy but he asked it it would be better if from about 2" below the windows if that could be repainted a different color and to do a split color look. I said that would help a little. So my thinking would be to spray from the 2" line down rought the whole clear up and respray the clear everywhere. do you think this will solve my proplems. he's thinking red on top black on bottom(kind of copying my car not to happy about that :DD )but hey he's the one paying. so let me know if re clearing the car would solve this problem.

thanks

Chris

Guest MidcoastMW

well from what you described it SHOULD solve the problem. But when your prepping the top half and the pits dont come out after your through the old clear...... :DD

but if you do that, and re shoot the bottom doiffrent color and then clear over the whole car, it would look nicey nicey if done right. Good luck bro.

Guest dimambro2

I know the pits are in the clear I tested an area on the part that I am going to redue it came out just dont know how much clear is left behind so I think I will just shoot the car with another 4 coats just to be sure. unless I should shoot more? Let me know I want this guy to hopfully get me some more work so what ever will look the best.

thanks

Chris

Guest MidcoastMW
I know the pits are in the clear I tested an area on the part that I am going to redue it came out just dont know how much clear is left behind so I think I will just shoot the car with another 4 coats just to be sure. unless I should shoot more? Let me know I want this guy to hopfully get me some more work so what ever will look the best.

thanks

Chris

[*]357518

3-4 coats of clear should be plenty. Just play it by ear. Everyone sprays diffrent and theres a million and one variables. Just watch how the clear lays out when your sprayin it. If its covering and flowing good, then you dont nessisarily need to pile it on. If its layin like glue, and orange peely....spray enough so you have room to wetsand the nasty @#$% out. And remember, no need for heavy coats! ..just cover it. :beer

and I dunno what products your usin, but do your self a favor and use the good stuff!!! Dupont, PPG, etc......

Archived