Tining front Windshield leaves hazy/blurry look

Guest wkjoyce

Guest wkjoyce

I got my car tinted about 5 weeks ago. I had the tinter apply a 50% grey to my front windshield. I can see a slight blurryness when looking out the windshield. They said it is because the windshield is two pieces of glass and that this is an artifact of the light bending in so many different directions.

I notice slight moisture still left which they said will take longer to dry because of the windshield being two pieces of glass. If and when the moisture is completely gone, will the blurryness go away or is it a permanent effect of the properties of a windshield? Is there anything that can be done? What is the best tint for a windshield to reduce this effect?

Thanks all!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

first off, what you had done is illegal, in ANY state. unless, if you are just talking about a small eyebrow on the top. if that's the case, you probably only paid $5-$10 for it and shouldn't worry about. if it's still hazy after 5 weeks, the installer probably didn't squeegee it hard enough. but it does take a little longer on windshields because it's laminated glass.

Guest wkjoyce

No, it was the whole windshield. Interestingly enough, the local code says that any glazing material with a luminous transmittance lower than 70% on a windshield or window is illegal. In the absence of a tester, objects within the car have to be recognizable from 25 feet away during normal day light conditions. Based on this, everyone driving around with a tint is illegal down here. 20 and 5 percents are the norm.

So is it the moisture or the properties of the windshield that causes the blurryness? I notice none of the blurryness on the sides and back.

Guest wkjoyce

Actually, I don't live in a state, but a territory. The VI (Virgin Islands) isn't on that law list. If it makes you feel any better, I did remove the tint myself yesterday. I used single edge razor blades and windex. It was hard work! :confused If we may, I would like to get off the legality issue.

:dunno So is it the moisture or the properties of the windshield that causes the blurryness? I notice none of the blurryness on the sides and back.

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Welcome to the boards WK.

I can't answer your questions because I don't deal with cars but, I must say you have the terminology to your questions down pact! For an end consumer to ask the question the way you did, I wish everyone was like that. :dunno

I do suggest monitoring your post for the next few days as oother auto tinters check in and read the boards. They will definitley respond with their thoughts to your question.

Good Luck.

yeah that bothered me also, thats why I dont tint my own windshield anymore, window tint is just not 100% optically clear, and it bothered me looking out through grainy film.

I had a new mustang in the shop a couple weeks ago the windshield was so blurry it was pathetic, just regular ractory glass, and it was nausiating to look out of, so yes you can get some fubared glass. if I were that customer I would have it back at the dealership in a heart beat getting a new windshield.

Guest wkjoyce

LOL, I just realized I spelled windshield incorrectly.

Thanks for the welcome DontWorryItWillDry. Yep, I am just a consumer, this board seems to be tinter orientated, and that's good, who best to answer my questions.

thetintshop, I await your detailed explanation. I love technical details, thanks.

MDOG, I feel your pain man, the 50% on my windshield just looked so nice. Kinda made all the different pieces of glass look like one big piece, real smooth. Not to mention the added privacy, interior protection, reduced A/C strain and reduce glare. Oh well.... :dunno TINT LAWS

I am contemplating a 75%, but not if it will be blurry in anyway. Looking forward to the answers to the blurry effect.

Archived