Difference between "tinting" and "smoking&quo

Guest ZJ JIM 96

Guest ZJ JIM 96

Hi. I've been a lurker for a while, but just had to come out and ask this question to settle an argument. A girl friend of mine insists that a shop by her will "smoke" windows with some sort of heat or flame and that it will darken the window permanently--as in "as good as factory tint."

I think I would have seen this method mentioned if it were the case. But she insists she saw it done. I'm thinking she saw them using a heat gun to shrink tint. Could she have seen this done?

Guest Film Maverick

She probably saw them shrinking the film or drying it after it was installed. About 20 - 25 years ago some tinters used a system known as "Flow Coat" where they would darken the windows with a liquid. I know guys that kept their system but haven't heard of anyone using it for a long time. I don't think they could even get the right materials if they wanted too.

Sounds like you win the bet :dunno Hope you get something good out of it :lol

Guest thetintshop

HERE WE GO WITH THE "SMOKE" THING AGAIN.

here's a recent post I made on this issue.

my uncle had chemical "smoke" applied to his toyota (lexus), at least that's what the dealership told him. I looked at it and said, "yeah, it's smoke all right, smoke tint from alta-mere." after 9 months, 2 of the doors are peeling up and the back glass is letting go where they pieced it. he asked for my help and I told him to take it back to the dealer and let them fix it with thier "magical chemical smoke".

I'm gonna tear the asses out of these car salesmen that are passing this "information" on to their customers. it's misleading and one of these days a customeris gonna get real pissed about it. I know I would if I paid alot of money for an expensive car thinking I had "cutting edge" technology then only to find out I had cheap ass alta-mere film.

suprisingly most all tintjobs were in the 150 dollar range at the one I worked at, every now and then you would have some dumbass in a el camino want the cheep job :beer 95% of the time we got higher prices that the place I work at now.

Archived