Tinting over tint?

Guest SNEnchanted

Guest SNEnchanted

Hello, I just bought a ford five hundrend. It already had the windows tinted at 35%.

I would like them a little darker. For years I have had all my cars windows tinted at 20%.

I called a window tinting shop and they said I could have it tinted over the tint on the car now. they would use 35% to put over the other 35% already tinted on the window. My questions are is that all right to do that? And will it may the windows too dark??

Thank you for your response.

J A

Hello, I just bought a ford five hundrend. It already had the windows tinted at 35%. 

I would like them a little darker.  For years I have had all my cars windows tinted at 20%.

I called a window tinting shop and they said I could have it tinted over the tint on the car now.  they would use 35% to put over the other 35% already tinted on the window.  My questions are is that  all right to do that? And will it may the windows too dark?? 

Thank you for your response.

J A

[*]366159

It wouldn't be wise...

1) The quality of the first layer is in question...

2) Age of the existing film relates to the above...

3) The above will lead to early failure, need for replacement...

4) There is no warranty on piggy back film installs...

5) It'll cost less to redo the back now rather than later...

6) The film combination would be similar to having a single layer 5-15% film applied...

Guest unsivilized

^^ what metint said, any pro tinter will tell you they will not do it and recomend removing the tint 1st and redoing the car is the way to go, anyone that says they will tint over old tint is just wrong...... but on another note if a customer wants it it can be done they just have to understand im not liable for quality or degradeation

Guest SNEnchanted

Do you know for sure that the tint would be at 5% to 15% that seems awful dark? I don't think 35% is really all that dark and to put another 35% over it doesn't seem like it would be that dark?

Let me know. Thank You again for all your responses, have a great day!