Tucking tint

Guest chip01

I am trying to leave the last 3"'s of liner on then rolling the window up after finising the top edge then the tucking the tint under the gasket. I am struggling with the tint creasing at the sides can anyone help me out with some pointers. Taking door panels off is crap so I really want to get my installs down this way clean

Thanks in advance

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest streetsounds
I am trying to leave the last 3"'s of liner on then rolling the window up after finising the top edge then the tucking the tint under the gasket. I am struggling with the tint creasing at the sides can anyone help me out with some pointers. Taking door panels off is crap so I really want to get my installs down this way clean

Thanks in advance

[*]369737

when u roll the window up make sure u hold the bottom of the 2 sides in and if u get a small crease heat it up and get rid of it

Guest sendjoshg

Dude have you ever tried to roll the window all the way up, then tuck the bottom in first? This is done by sliding the bottom in at an angle to not crease it. This is my preferred method now. You must prepare the gaskets by cleaning them properly first. For rubber gaskets just wipe off the top first, and for felt use your heat gun to singe the extra lint off of the felt. This is not risky, but it is a slight alteration. I just got introduced to this method by a friend from Puerto Rico. You will save yourself a lot of time heating out side creases, but you must be careful to not let the top of the tint touch the door frame. Just picture how you tint a frameless roll-up. Now think of doing it with the frame. If this method is practiced it can be perfected in about 3 weeks. Some tint may be lost at first, some cars will not be "perfect" but in the end your customers will notice the differnce as you will. I wish I could video it for you but I am not into that sort of thing. Too technologically advanced. Tint on. Oh, the liner is not left on the top, it is completely removed.

Yeah dude, I would venture to guess that most of your creasing happens either from lifting the film too high to clean under it, or you need to bring the corners in towards the middle of the glass, then take that at an angle into the edges.

Another thing, when sliding the edges back towards the middle before tucking them into the sides, if the film is binding on the seal, it's going to crease. You need to release the pressure by pushing on the film above where the crease is about to take place and pull some of that film out of the seal so it will lay flat and slide back in easily so it won't crease.

Kinda hard to explain in words really. Also watch how much you are over sizing as this could be a potential problem as well. Trying to slam too much film into the edges leads to creases and contamination.

Creases become less and less with experiance, but they will always haunt you from time to time. Hang in there. :inot

Guest Beeline
are you folding the tint up to clean the bottom of the glass after you roll up the window?    if so stop.  only lift it as high as you have to.

[*]369741

:inot don't overhang too much on the bottom when you are cutting pattern. the less you have, the less you have to tuck.....

Guest tintgod

on most cars and truck..it is just as fast and easy to pull the panel..I know... :beer

cutting corners and doing faster work doesn't always equate to a better tinter and install..I know.. :inot :lol2

Archived