machine or handcut?

Guest tintmaster1

Guest tintmaster1

What do you folks think? I challenged a guy. me cutting by hand , him machine. He would'nt take me up on it.So still don't really know? I did a chevy p/u 3 window no rear defrost in nine and a half minutes.whats you're fastest time? Also does anyone know if theres any tint comp going on. I have'nt done one in awhile but would like to.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

computer is faster if you have a very high volume and a seperate person, like your receptionist, running the machine. while youre working on one car, he/she can cut out the next cars tint. I think that is the only way it is faster. oh yeah if you do mainly dealer work you can tint the same civics all day in 30 minutes. I prefer to hand cut for two reasons: it doesnt give you micro edges, and it is unforgiving on back windows.

Guest ShadyKat

If my system is on line, it generally takes me less than 30 seconds to select a pattern. I almost never cut an entire pattern in one pass. The film size would be unmanageable. But I have cut an 06 Toyota Tacoma standard cab with a three-piece rear. I don?t know the exact time it took to cut but it was under two minutes.

The plotter makes it nice. Using conventional wisdom I don?t have the volume to support a plotter, but I don?t want or need it for volume, I use it as a marketing tool and PPF. Everybody on this site knows the customer will never tell the difference between a computer cut and a quality hand cut pattern. But the consumer does not know that, hence I use it for the WOW effect; and it works. I cannot say I have been in the biz for twenty years but I can say I have a cutter that cuts the pattern to factory spects. :blah

Its obvious the old school way would be much faster. I means think about it while I'm double laying the sides to be cut then cutting, your loading material, checking alignment of film/machine, checking pen force, then going to software, finally a cut. As I trim up my cuts and start preparing to lay the film, your picking your patterns realizeing the plotter you just payed 2500.00 for did'nt exactly cut through the film in some spots so you have to cut by hand anyways. I bet I would have 2-2.5 windows done by the time the other guy was ready to lay his film. Also for precut back glass nothing fits better than a an old school light and knife cut!! Now don't get me wrong when I'm having an off day I love my TTek setup.

Archived