would this genny be any good?

Guest k-tintz

Guest k-tintz

after much thought, I've decided I'm gonna go mobile for a while before setting up shop. less hassel and more affordable way of testing the water so to speak.

so obviously I'm gonna need a generator for the heat gun and lights. would this be suitable?

I know nothing about these things, lol

ebay genny

thanks all!

Guest ShadyKat

What Oldtinter said about Honda. :spit

But have you thought about using a couple of deep cell batteries hooked together (I forget if it is called series or parallel) but the batteries are hooked together positive to positive negative to negative making one big battery then connecting them to an inverter. It is quite, no gas, no starting hassles, just flip the switch then remember to charge over night. If you need help any competent electrician or inverter reseller for that matter can put you on the right path. :spit

Guest k-tintz
What Oldtinter said about Honda.  :spit

But have you thought about using a couple of deep cell batteries hooked together (I forget if it is called series or parallel) but the batteries are hooked together positive to positive negative to negative making one big battery then connecting them to an inverter. It is quite, no gas, no starting hassles, just flip the switch then remember to charge over night. If you need help any competent electrician or inverter reseller for that matter can put you on the right path.  :spit

[*]370855

yeah I've never heard of it, just didn't know if it would be any good going by the specs of it.

you mean using 2 car batteries and a 12v - 240v inverter?

I've thought about just using one of them inverters that just plug into the car cigaret lighter. but then realised, if I had to leav the van elsewhere, this would be no good. plus it would mean having the engine on all the time I'm tinting.

Guest ShadyKat

The generator is the simplest solution; I just don?t like the idea of carrying gas around. The inverters that plug into the lighter I don?t believe will run your heat gun but maybe there is one out there large enough. .

But I have a question, how far do you think you be getting away from you vehicle? You can make a heavy-duty extension cord that can carry the current load for 100 to 125 ft. I would not want to go much further than that because you start loosing power due to the length of the wire.

On the inverter note I ran the numbers months ago. I figured two 1000 amp deep cycle batteries coupled to a 2400 watt inverter would be more than a sufficient for a days worth of shrinking. Provided you recharge the batteries over night. But, you are not going to be carrying this around. I was never planning on being more than 100 feet away from my truck and if I was surely there would be a power outlet near by.

Good luck dude. :DD

Guest k-tintz

I'll keep close as I can, it just that if need to be away from the van, I can.

like if I go to car shows, if its in a field there will be no power, other tan the power I supply.

Guest ShadyKat
I'll keep close as I can, it just that if need to be away from the van, I can.

like if I go to car shows, if its in a field there will be no power, other tan the power I supply.

[*]371145

If that is a situation you think you will be in then the generator is the easier way to go. As far as that brand I have never heard of them, but I am assuming you are across the pond from me as it was a UK link. But again like Oldtinter stated, you can?t go wrong purchasing a Honda.

good luck, :lol:dunno

Guest ShadyKat
an inverter will power a heat gun but most heat guns take 1400-1800 watts and that dosnt include the occasional spike.

if you want to use an inverter, you need a 2000-2500W power inverter

And those get real spendy.

[*]371518

you are correct sir about the spendy part, if I remeimber correctly I was looking at about 3 bills for the inverter, but I h@te unnecessary noise. :twocents

Archived