Chemical Activated Adhesives????

Guest SHOMEURTINTS

Guest SHOMEURTINTS

We were installing some LLumar Bronze 35% on a house the other day and the film was not sticking for somereason. When I called into Tech., they suggested that we not use the X-100 Chemical additive to our slip solution. They said it reacts differently to the Bronze films. (That would have been nice to know before we started) Anyway, they said just use the Baby Shampoo and water. This tells me the chemical activator must be optional. The moisture is what activates the adhesive. 3M Nightvision film feels real similar to LLumar's CDF dry adhesive. 3M suggests soap and water alone.

What is the general opinion from those with experience with LLumar or dry adhesives???? :lol6

The instructions on the bottle of X-100 clearly state not to use the product for installing sputtered bronze and other specialty films (silver based, none in LLumar).

X-100 is a mild phosphoric acid and can cause corrosion to the copper deposition that makes up the bronze in sputtered N1020B, 35 50 series as the application solution evaporates through the film.

Baby shampoo is acceptable... though FilmOn is better served for CDF dry adhesive and dish soaps will only lead to frustration.

Fielded a complaint on R20 falling off skylights overnight... when asked what was used... Joy soap. I proceeded to install samples from the same lot number to a piece of tempered glass and turn it horizontal overnight. One side had joy soap used, the other side X-100, went home for the night. Next morning the joy soap sample had fallen off the glass and the X-100 had to be peeled away.

3M's product is dry to the touch, but is in fact a pressure sensitive adhesive with a detackifying agent on the liner, which transfer to the adhesive once the liner is removed. This detackifier is then rinsed away with application solution, exposing the PS adhesive to the glass.

What about LLumar's "Film On" is that the same as x-100??  Which is better for non PS films. Can You use it for specialty films and bronze films?

[*]370749

No

FilmOn = purified baby shampoo

Yes

Archived