Purple edges - Solargard True Grey

Guest uvx

I have SG HP True Grey (38 on sides/back, 6 on windshield strip). Tint was installed April 2004. After about a year & a half, I began to notice the edges of the windsheild strip beginning to turn purple. :spit I figured the darker film would have problems first, since I've experienced this type of thing before long ago with other films (I figure darker film is going to take more abuse since it blocks more sun). Also, I am certain the windshield strip is True Grey (not Charcoal) because I actually had to pay a little more for it (this particular shop used HP Charcoal for all strips, which is probably a common thing) and I made sure he took the film from a TG roll.

Now after just under 2 years I notice the 38 on the back glass is starting to have purple edges too. :spit Has anyone else ever experienced this type of thing? Also, I am sure it's HP True Grey & not HP Charcoal - I have a coworker with HP Charcoal & the difference is obvious (charcoal being blacker).

As a side topic of discussion, I have a friend who has F1 Ultimate & it looks real similar to HP True Grey. Does anyone know if these films are basically the same stuff? :lol2 (the F1 isn't purpling, but it is mostly garaged while my car is constantly outdoors, so I can't really judge the longevity based on this vehicle).

I'm debating whether I should get the True Grey replaced under warranty or say screw it try F1 Ultimate if it'll last longer without trouble. I like the look of these films, but don't want purpling after only a couple years. I realize no tint will last forever, but I was hoping for like 5-6 years without problems.

Thanks in advance for any info you folks can offer.

Guest jason11286

I don't know I haven't had that long of experience with it (been using SG HP CH 38) but I'm pretty sure the HP true grey is supposed to be stable adn I think even the hp charcoal is too from what solar gard's site says.

Guest ShadyKat

The longest install I have is 14 months with HP TG. It is my standard film and up until two weeks ago I looked at it everyday and could see nothing wrong. Are you sure the film was HP and not NR but even if it was it should not be doing the purple thing. Maybe some of the old guard has some insight.

If you get it replaced under warranty and are wanting to upgrade take a good look at SG?s Quantum, this is full metal jacket stuff, very nice. :spit

Yeah it's HP TG, not the NR stuff....I know Quantum is toughest stuff, but I actually prefer the look of the TG. That is why I posed my F1 Ultimate question - I want to retain this look but not have to deal with purple edges (or purple anything) for at least 5-6 years (or hopefully more).

One funny thing I forgot to say was I have a friend that tint with Johnson film, and he had told me this would happen eventually (he said watch the edges - they'll turn color first). He basically said that the HP TG was not really any better than his Johnson stuff (claiming both will turn purple eventually).

Well the first thing I said was "Yeah bull**** - the manufacturer says it's color stable & even warrantees it against that." Well I'll be damned if he was right!!! :spit

Just because somebody takes the film out of the SG box doesn't mean it really is SG. Many fraudulent people around  :spit

[*]370867

:spit

Then again if it's only around the edge? And, is it around the edge of the film not seen... like in the black ceramic border area?

And, is it around the edge of the film not seen... like in the black ceramic border area?

[*]370907

yeah....what edge are you talking about? :spit I install HP and NR TG and HPCharcoal. but I don't install HPTG38. too light for my customers. plus I don't like how it shrinks. but our main location installs it daily. never a complaint. sounds to me like you didn't get HPTG38.

Guest darkdan

Maybe it's near where the tint is in the glass on the windshield and because of the color it's just tricking you into thinking it's purpling, but really you just never noticed it before?

Archived