DOW CORNING 995 on Store Door

Guest HalifaxBob

Guest HalifaxBob

I posted this twice.. I think I should not have...... but....

OK, pretty new at this but I have some people that have worked with security film for a few years and will be installing. The subject of the front glass doors come up all the time, you know the kind that are normally found at a strip mall or a row of commercial business warehouses, etc.

I saw one job that was just done and the film ( I don't know what thickness) was placed on and done to the edge of the inner mouldings. Then the installer/s put the dow Corning on over the film and onto the moulding itself.

I thought that the best was was to remove the mouldings, film to almost the edge of the glass, put the dow corning on, and then put the moulding back on so that if the bad guys smash the glass, the glass, film and moulding dont lie down on the floor cause it is actually attached to the door frame itself.

Cause I am so new at this , could I get several different people here to let me know what their consensus is and as well what will happen to this door if someone goes to smash it in.

(Pictures would be good too)

Thanks for your help for this rookie.

PS. No.. It was not my job that this was done at

Personally, I believe the stops should be taken out...

Putting the 'goop' over the stops is still only really relying on the strength of the stops to hold the thing together, whereas, installing goop on inside and replacing the stops seems like it would add reinforcement without relying on the stops. Molding can they act more for looks. :bling

Guest HalifaxBob
CP Recommends pulling the gaskets out and installing stops then silicone over the stops:

1) Clean frames

2) Remove the interior glazing gasket (you will not need it) on all sides of the window and replace it with rubber wedges. 

Tremco TR-1632E Headless Wedge

Tremco TR-335E Arrowshim Wedge

3) Prep Glass then apply film

4) Apply Silicone Sealant (keep wedges in)

The gasket is usless and can create more problems, the stops will not affect the integrity of the job because there are only a few of them relatively speaking. :bling

[*]373301

Does that go for glass doors too? I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying it is ok to leave the stops on the door and then silicone or Dow Corning 995 over that?

Thanks for your help.

Guest HalifaxBob

OHHHHHHHHHHHH so u are saying to TAKE THE STOPS OFF of the door. (the Mouldings)...then put the goop on the glass, film and frame, then put the stops back on using the wedges to hold the glass in place.

Got it.

anyone else?

OHHHHHHHHHHHH so u are saying to TAKE THE STOPS OFF of the door. (the Mouldings)...then put the goop on the glass, film and frame, then put the stops back on using the wedges to hold the glass in place.

Got it.

anyone else?

[*]373429

Definately pull the stops, apply the D/C, then replace the stops.

[*]373461

:eyebrows:popcorn

Guest VOLTRON

when we do them I take the frame moldings off and film to edge of glass and then apply 995 around the whole thing then reinstall the moldings.

I dont take out the rubber blocks that the window is sitting on for fear of breakin the glass. If those are the stops you guys are talking about.

Archived