!llegal Tint...Insurance Issues

Guest Joyride

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my CANON DIGITAL REBEL seems to take darker pictures when I have it set on auto. Thats some of the problem right there :thumbdown I dont know how to set the exposure and all that stuff on the camera I just set it on auto and snap :thumbdown

Guest Joyride

Went to Progressive claims office today. These are the people who go out on the scene of the accident and decide whether a claim is to be paid or not. I spoke to the manager of the office - he told me there is no exclusion stating that my contract will be void if my windows are tinted !llegally. He has no financial interest in lying to me. He said they go on the scene of dozens of accidents a week and never even think of looking to see if the windows are tinted because its a non-issue. Only way they can void a contract or deny a claim is if I lied on the application or I violate one of the listed exclusions (!llegal modifications is not a listed exclusion).

He made a good point - if I were driving around with 3 times the legal alcohol limit coursing through my veins and total my car, they would still have to abide by my contract and cover me.

So just because something you do is !llegal, it does not give the insurance co the ability to deny you.

? He said they go on the scene of dozens of accidents a week and never even think of looking to see if the windows are tinted

[*]374172

but they will now...thanks to you :wall

[*]374173

:wall:duck

welp joyride I am glad you posted that - by doing so you have saved me yet another year of winning the "dumbazz poster of the year on TD award" :evileye

Guest Joyride
  He said they go on the scene of dozens of accidents a week and never even think of looking to see if the windows are tinted

[*]374172

[*]374173

They will now? Why, because it doesn't affect the policy?

:wall:duck

welp joyride I am glad you posted that - by doing so you have saved me yet another year of winning the "dumbazz poster of the year on TD award" :evileye

[*]374180

Not sure why my post was so stupid - I proved wrong a myth that you "legal only" tinters use to scare people....

Not sure why my post was so stupid - I proved wrong a myth that you "legal only" tinters use to scare people....

Let me take it from a business owner's point of view.

Honestly, whoever you talked to at that office in my opinion really did not fully explain everything. That insurance company most likely would pay the claim for an accident. But that would not be the end of it. They can pursue the installer of that dark film and collect all funds, and costs incurred in that collection process. If there was an injury or death, the installer could also be held liable for that injury or death.

As a business owner, I will not want to take the possible liability of installing something than is darker than allowed. If the installer(employee) knows the limit and violates that limit, that person is liable also.

Many years ago I knew of a company who did install darker than allowed. A vehicle was involved in an accident. The insurance company noticed the dark filmed windows and found out who installed the film. That installing company ended up paying a fair amount of cash to the insurance company. It is my understanding that company is no longer in business.

There is no myth here, the key word you mentioned was "legal". Each state has a law pertaining to aftermarket films applied on vehicles. If you violate that law, you, and the installer will be held responsible.

He made a good point - if I were driving around with 3 times the legal alcohol limit coursing through my veins and total my car, they would still have to abide by my contract and cover me.

I suggest you read your contract closely and not depend on someone's word

? He said they go on the scene of dozens of accidents a week and never even think of looking to see if the windows are tinted

[*]374172

[*]374173

They will now? Why, because it doesn't affect the policy?

:DD:duck

[*]374180

[*]374196

well either my computer is screwed up or I cant find that attachment

you posted with this in writing :wall

Its funny that I just hung up with a state farm claims adjuster here that coaches my kid in soccer and he told me they would decline the claim due to the clause for !llegal modifications to the vehicle. :wall

Be happy to get that in writing if you would like.

Archived