!llegal Tint...Insurance Issues

Guest Joyride

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
Went to Progressive claims office today.  These are the people who go out on the scene of the accident and decide whether a claim is to be paid or not.  I spoke to the manager of the office - he told me there is no exclusion stating that my contract will be void if my windows are tinted !llegally.  He has no financial interest in lying to me.  He said they go on the scene of dozens of accidents a week and never even think of looking to see if the windows are tinted because its a non-issue.  Only way they can void a contract or deny a claim is if I lied on the application or I violate one of the listed exclusions (!llegal modifications is not a listed exclusion).

He made a good point - if I were driving around with 3 times the legal alcohol limit coursing through my veins and total my car, they would still have to abide by my contract and cover me. 

So just because something you do is !llegal, it does not give the insurance co the ability to deny you.

[*]374172

So Progressive does not care if you break the law, they will cover !llegally tinted vehicles. What about, Farmers, Geico, State Farm, AAA, and the rest of the crew? Can't declare myths yet, your research is not complete.

Well even if I get 50% put on the front windows, with the factory "tinted glass" its gonna read darker than 50%.

So basically a person can't get their windows tinted at all unless he wants to risk being totally screwed.  How do you stay in business then?

[*]373995

I tint in south dakota :evileye

the laws are very good compared to most.

Guest Key West

Joyride,

I was the last one I know of to post about the insurance issues, and !llegal modifications. If you think that we are trying to "scare" people :evileye . I am just trying to inform them of possible ramifications. I know of at LEAST three occasions where insurance didn't pay because of !llegal mods. One was a very good friend of mine in Miami. The bottom line is that if the vehicle is not in compliance with state law, it is not supposed to be operated on the roads. No inspection sticker? DONT drive it. Tint too dark, don't get caught. AND it is !llegal (class 1 misdemeanor, up to 1 yr in jail, and $5000.00 fine not to mention loss of business license) for me to apply ANY film not in compliance with state law.

Dude, I would love nothing more than to be able to aquiesce every customer that comes in wanting whatever, But when a guy comes in wanting film darker than legal (wanting me to commit a crime), then has the audacity to quibble over price? :duck:wall I figure that the last years gross for the shop ought to just about cover the tint job. I don't know where you are, but here in my part of Ga the cops are freakin' nuts about ticketing dark tint, especially after the new law went into effect (june 2005)

I personally resent anyone asking me to risk jail, and loss of income just so they can be cool. My family, and livelihood is WAAAAYYYYY more impoprtant than just a few dollars in the general scheme of things!

Go ahead, believe your agent (ESPECIALLY since you have already tipped your hand and hipped him to a way out :wall ) I'd say that if you get into a wreck, its REALLLY gonna suck 2 be you!!! Get it in writing.

Just because we inform people of the risks, don't judge us by saying we use scare tactics. I could give a rats azz what you have on your car(as long as it doesn't endanger me or mine). WHEW! Ok, I'm through. :wall

Guest Al-tint
He made a good point - if I were driving around with 3 times the legal alcohol limit coursing through my veins and total my car, they would still have to abide by my contract and cover me. 

[*]374172

:thumb:lol6:lol6:err:rock:hmmm

That statement right there tells me this guy is an idiot.

Guest Joyride

Hey I didnt mean to p*ss anyone off

Here in Ohio its apparently legal to apply any degree of tint; the shop just makes you sign a waiver stating that the customer knowingly requested !llegal tint and therefore assumes all liability associated with it.

I actually have an insurance license among other licenses (financial advisor), not in auto insurance but I have some understanding of the contracts and everything. That's why it struck me as odd that tint would void the contract. As long as there is no exclusion in the contract for !llegal mods, and the driver didn't misrepresent himself on the app, the driver is fine.

The insurance adjuster has no incentive to lie to me either - he doesn't get bonuses based on how many claims he denies. In fact, he has no discretion whatsoever in filing a claim.

Archived