i h@te wrenching

Guest tint rookie

Guest tint rookie

yep, usually a 1/4" bolt in place on that rear end. (early dana 35's, some had a roll pin, found its way in there from the dana 30)

lucky me, I got the friggin roll pin.

cant access the c clips unless the retaining pin and its corresponding gears are removed. the gears actaully cup over the c clips. they dont have room to move along the end of the axle. the c clips dont have room to come out

I was thinking of trying screw extractor, but without the threads inside that bore, would it work?

I'm not sure if an extractor will work for that, since there are no threads. It will probably just drive it in deeper.

A 90 degree drill......MAYBE.

I've had a few of the bolt pins break the heads off, I was able to get a bite on them with a left handed drill bit and drag them out. P.I.T.A.!!!! Been there!

Improvise, adapt and overcome. :thumbdown

I know some old school Jeep guys, I can pick some brains tomorrow.

PM me tomorrow if you still need help. Their shop is right up the street. :thumbdown

No worries dood! :thumbdown

Let me know how it works out. Literally! :thumbdown

I believe some of those had C clip eliminators that held the axles in from the end of the axle tubes. It was an aftermarket thing, but it is

possible.

I know, I already said it, but are you sure you can't unbolt the backing plate to pull the axles????

Those roll pins are some hard sum beaches, be careful not to break you drill bit off in it! Can the pin be driven all the way through and fall out in the carrier ? I have done several gear setups on Toyotas, Chevys, Dana,s etc. and on one{I dont rember which} there was a roll pin with the hole drilled completly through the carrier, drove the pin in far enough to remove the drive pin and on reassembly drove the pin back from the other side! :thumbdown Good luck

Guest tint rookie
I know, I already said it, but are you sure you can't unbolt the backing plate to pull the axles????

[*]374006

tried it. unbolted everything. unless the retaining pin and its two gears are removed. theres not enough play to get in at the c clips as they are covered up by the remaining two spider gears.

I like the slide hammer idea.

I did try a wood screw and prying on it, like removing a nail. threads wouldnt hold. (although I wasnt overly aggresive sinking it)

im gonna go a lil more aggresive. bury that screw or a extractor bit then weld it to the tip of a slide hammer.

Archived