Residential Glare Blockage

I get asked all the time by people for a film to install to large Family Room windows that will reduce fading, and that will also reduce the glare on their new Plasma TV's.

I always tell them we can reduce the fading even with a lightly tinted film, but to make a major difference in the glare we would have to install a film that's so dark they wouldn't want it on their windows (not to mention that it would be so high heat absorbing that it would also lead to an increased risk of breakage on large windows). We'll usually install a 50% film on these windows, maybe 35% if the glass isn't very big.

How do others handle these situations?

Guest Key West

Our biggest sellers for glare reduction are 3m NV-15, NV-25, and SolarGard SS20. People who have a glare problem want thier windows TINTED. :lol2

The biggest problem I face is customers looking at samples. Samples are decieving. People are scared of how dark a sample looks when compared to clear glass. I can't count how many times a customer has chosen 35%, only to find that it doesn't help the glare problem. Once a room is COMPLETELY done, the eye has no visual reference, and the results are quite pleasing with darker films. :spit I always leave it up to the customer, however, I do explain that to reduce glare, you gotta go darker. I also have them hold the sample up to thier eyes, not against the glass.

Granted, on an overcast day, dark films are gloomy. BUT on sunny days, Its a godsend. It's all a trade off! :lol

The greater the glass area in a room, the less gloomy the effect. Most people have been extremely happy with NV-15, or SS 20 :spit

Guest windoworx

I personally don't like to go darker than N1040 or DR35 (my new favorite) on residential except skylights I use R20.

If the sun is directly shining through the window onto a TV screen, anything short of blinds or shades is a going to throw glare on the set. 50% film is useless (relatively speaking) unless they have screens and interior shutters or blinds too.

I haven't used DR15 yet. I am fearful that it will be too dark and the customer will have an issue.

I get asked all the time by people for a film to install to large Family Room windows that will reduce fading, and that will also reduce the glare on their new Plasma TV's.

I always tell them we can reduce the fading even with a lightly tinted film, but to make a major difference in the glare we would have to install a film that's so dark they wouldn't want it on their windows (not to mention that it would be so high heat absorbing that it would also lead to an increased risk of breakage on large windows).  We'll usually install a 50% film on these windows, maybe 35% if the glass isn't very big.

How do others handle these situations?

[*]375949

Be very careful with the lightly tinted film... visible light is a major cause of fading too... but you know this. I'm just putting it out for those who may be thinking they can get great fade reduction with lighter films.

For people wanting a darker film, Sunscape SL-280 is the direction I go. I have a few times installed the 180.

Glare reduction is difficult to achieve especially if the TV is facing the west window.

[*]376003

:evilgrin May reduce the room glare but it doesn't take away any window reflection on the screen... even at 10% VLT a window's reflection will be noticed and very well may be bright enough to cause distraction.

Key word is... 'reduces'. :shock And window dressings in addition to film to control annoying screen reflection. :beer

Guest vclimber

Why are there no windows in a movie theater?

Sell them a good film to reduce fading and some blackout shades to k!ll the light when they want to watch the plasma...

Guest SHOMEURTINTS

Residential is 90% of my business. I beat my head into the wall over this because no one likes silver on their home, and 35% doesn't cut it with plasma TV's.

UNTIL!!!!!!!!!! The LLumar DR 15% is a gift from above. I have used DR 15% and 25% on patio doors and large 60"X60" great room windows without any problems. LLumar's glass breakage warranty covers the DR 15 & 25 films if the glass is still under warranty. These films knock out glare, but don't look as black as a standard 25 or 15% film.

N1040 is great for commercial clients that want people to be able to see into the showroom. All my residential customers love Bronze 35 or 20, or the DR 25 and 15. I let the customer choose, then always try to persuade them one shade darker. The first year or so in business every customer would say, "I wish I would have went darker." After hearing this time and time again, I realized they are so scared of dark windows, they cut themselves short. I have never had someone take my suggestion of one shade darker, and not say, "I'm glad we used this one."

Samples are deceiving when compared to clear glass...... :evilgrin

Guest vclimber
UNTIL!!!!!!!!!!  The LLumar DR 15% is a gift from above.  I have used DR 15% and 25% on patio doors and large 60"X60" great room windows without any problems.  LLumar's glass breakage warranty covers the DR 15 & 25 films if the glass is still under warranty.  These films knock out glare, but don't look as black as a standard 25 or 15% film. 

[*]376295

ME can confirm this with the DR films... Make sure that your windows qualify on the F2G chart or you will not get the thermal break warranty from Llumar. DR 15&25 are good films, you just can't put them on everything...

I've become leery of the darker films on large windows since, even if they carry glass breakage coverage, the limit on the coverage means that on the larger Family Room/Great Room windows we treat the out of pocket cost to the customer if there is breakage is going to be over $1k. And yes, it happens. It is more likely to happen here in the Northeast than in GA or CA.

If the windows are smaller, and less likely to break, I will recommend darker films, even 20% if glare is a major concern, 35% if it's not.

Guest SHOMEURTINTS
ME can confirm this with the DR films... Make sure that your windows qualify on the F2G chart or you will not get the thermal break warranty from Llumar. DR 15&25 are good films, you just can't put them on everything...

What title does Metint hold with LLumar. I've seen many LLumar questions referred to him as the Supreme Being of LuLU........... :evilgrin

Archived