moon roof/ sun roof tint...

Guest mondo

:wall I have a van I am cusomising and know nothing about tint. I'm going to be making a large fixed most likly plexiglass moon roof (for we can see the stars at night when we go vanning) I want a tint that will block out a lot of the sun but when it is night it will be easy to see through. is this possible? what do you pros think? and can plexiglass be tinted?

:beer:beer

a couple of things

plexi can be tinted, but it has a tendency to "outgas"

it will make bubbles like it were boiling under the film

Polycarbonate is more shatter-resistant,

and exibits a little less outgasing (as I understand it)

if you use glass, the film needs to be highly reflective (mirror)

without too much dye in it 35-20%

the glass could break if heated and cooled unevenly,

or if the surface temp gets too high

reflective films reflect more heat

dyed films absorb much of the heat into the glass

I would use a pigmented acrylic or polycarbonate

they are available from GE polymers in a huge range of colors and shades

:beer

Guest TintDrNewYork

No there is No a film that I know of but a good ? I HAVE A 2 suggestion FOR YOU. 1 IS HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ON A LARGE BOAT OR YAGHT OR RV ? IF SO I HAVE SEEN THOSE OVER SIZED MOON ROOF TYPE PLEXI TINTED HATCHES THAT OPEN UP AND LOCK DOWN SO AT NIGHT YOU CAN JUST OPEN IT UP AND LOOK AT THE STARS AND WHEN ITS TIME FOR BED YOU CLOSE AND LOCK IT AND THERE MADE FOR BOATS SO AT LEAST YOU KNOW THERE WATER PROOF AND WONT LEAK OVER TIME. THE BIGGEST ONE I HAVE SEEN WAS ABOUT 4 1/2 FEET BY 4 1/2 FEET SO THAT SHOULD DO THE TRICK JUST FINE AND ON THE BOATS THEY HAVE REMOVABLE SCREENS SO WHEN AFTER THE HATCH IS OPENED YOU REPLACE THE REMAVABLE SCREEN TO KEEP THE BUGS OUT. I HAVE SEEN THEM ON LARGE RV'S ALSO . ANOTHER IDEA IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT ONE IS WHEN YOU BUILD IT MAKE ANOTHER STAINED OR TINTED PLEXY GLASS WINDOW THAT YOU CAN PUT UNDERNEATH THE ORIGINAL PLEXY WINDOW AND REMOVE IT AT NIGHT. tHIS CAN BE DONE VERY EASY. AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED INSTALLING THE MOONROOF JUST MAKE ANOTHER CUT OF PLEXY JUST A 8TH OF A INCH SMALLER ALL AROUND THEN GET THOSE STAR LIKE FLAT KNOBS THAT LOOK EITHER LIKE + OR LIKE - AND PUT THEM IN THE 4 CORNERS WHEN YOU LAY THE NEW GLASS UNDER THE OLD GLASS YOU TURN THE KNOB AND IT WILL KEEP IT UP PERFECTLY AND IT WONT FALL DOWN THEY USE THESE KNOBS ON RVS BOATS ETC !, NOW YOU HAVE A TINTED GLASS THAT WILL KEEP THE SUN AND HEAT OUT DURING THE DAY, THEN AT NIGHT SPIN YOUR KNOBS REMOVE THE TINTED PLEXI AND LOOK AT THE STARS!!!!!! GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

thanks for all the ideas, the mirror would be good if I was single lmao. but I have a wife and an infant (I dont want the sun to be shining in his eyes) van space is very limeted in my set up so the multiple peices wouldnt work well for me. what Z was talking about I think suits my aplication best, polycarbonate=lexan? thanks again mike

glass might work but since the roof is fiber glass I was worried about the weight issue and the bending and vibration on that big of glass would make me nervous since its hanging about us

also since tint works by the reflection from the light... what if I had 2 windows tinted and had lighting run around the edge (not able to be seen that would allow for a tint during the sunlight hours and flip a switch and it would be clear at night... think it will work?

thanks for all the ideas, the mirror would be good if I was single lmao. but I have a wife and an infant (I dont want the sun to be shining in his eyes) van space is very limeted in my set up so the multiple peices wouldnt work well for me.  what Z was talking about I think suits my aplication best, polycarbonate=lexan? thanks again mike

[*]376592

:beer

glad we could help :beer

Guest Braud Spectrum

I had a Toyota truck we put a sunroof in. I loved it, but after my daughter was born I still had that truck it became nothing but misery... even tinted. Sun aggravated her. :beer You don't want an aggravated baby. :wall So I used a piece of stiff lightweight plastic made to fit (wished I had saved the cutout from it's install) and covered it with headliner fabric. Had velcro on it to hold it up there. Happy baby. :beer

Archived