soap

Guest Oh_Yeah

Guest Oh_Yeah

Hi I just got a question regarding which soap to use with my tinting, Ive mainly been using baby shampoo since I started tinting but recently starting working with another tinter that prefers to use this dishwashing detergent called "trix". I have found tinting easy using this trix.. I find the film dosnt move around as much, once u turbo it out once its stuck.. but the other day I had this other tinter come into the shop thats pretty experienced and saw the trix on the shelf and said to me that we shouldnt really be tinting with trix because after 2-3 years the trix affects the film because of the citrus in it?? Can any1 shed some light on this for me? I told the tinter that I work with and he just said it was rubbish.. said he has been using trix for 5 years and never had a problem.. any advice/info would be great cheers guys :beer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TintDrNewYork

Hummm I never heard of trix but I use dawn or jnj baby shampoo. The dawn works better for side glass because when you get the glass down it sticks better and its a spot free soap. The baby shampo for back windows because you need that slide action. Or you could spend they money and get very good film stuff thers lots of names that work good as well. I would think that if there is acid in citris it may effect the film over time but then again its very diluded.

I told the tinter that I work with and he just said it was rubbish.. said he has been using trix for 5 years and never had a problem.. :beer  any advice/info would be great cheers guys  :beer

[*]376613

Given time the improbable will become a certainty...

Citrus based soaps may give you accelerated adhesion because they contain citrus acid and an acid serves as the accelerant. The long term effect of citrus acid on the film's adhesive is called into question...

Citrus acid is very harmful to the anti-reflection coating of eye glasses and for this reason may be harmful to some high end window films, which contain a similar technology in lowering the film's metal component's reflective value. It may also be damaged in the same way eyeglass anti-reflective coating are, if citrus based soap is used to install the film.

If you are using a low end film product (lower cost)... no worries... or play it safe and stick with the baby shampoo...

I have called a chemist to get their input on long term effects. When the call comes in, I'll share their input. :wall

Guest tint rookie
all the other good metint points (edited to save readers time)

If you are using a low end film product (lower cost)... no worries... or play it safe and stick with the baby shampoo...

I have called a chemist to get their input on long term effects. When the call comes in, I'll share their input. :beer

[*]376617

much agreed to the whole post. look forward to the input.

I always thought of it in simpler terms. one is used to get hard core cooked on grease and grime off pots and pans the other is delicate enough for a babies scalp. (quick fact J&J neutralizes pepper spray as well)

if tacking up is an issue maybe its a lil more of youre using too much soap rather than the type of soap youre using.

? I told the tinter that I work with and he just said it was rubbish.. said he has been using trix for 5 years and never had a problem.. :beer? any advice/info would be great cheers guys? :hmmm

[*]376613

Given time the improbable will become a certainty...

Citrus based soaps may give you accelerated adhesion because they contain citrus acid and an acid serves as the accelerant. The long term effect of citrus acid on the film's adhesive is called into question...

Citrus acid is very harmful to the anti-reflection coating of eye glasses and for this reason may be harmful to some high end window films, which contain a similar technology in lowering the film's metal component's reflective value. It may also be damaged in the same way eyeglass anti-reflective coating are, if citrus based soap is used to install the film.

I have called a chemist to get their input on long term effects. When the call comes in, I'll share their input. :wall

[*]376617

Sorry Metint I was out when the phone rang -I will get back with you shortly and you can post my findings :lol

Archived