measuring

Guest jparizek

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
I would use a slightly different formula.? 31 x 80 = 3' x 7' = 21 x 2 = 42 Sq Ft.

[*]377577

Thats how I do it! Round up to the next foot -that way you get paid for the waste. :rollin

[*]377585

:):) Some people calculate the material used (ie: 30" windows from a 36" roll etc.) I just round up to the nearest foot, never down, and calculate from there. length x width in feet gove you SqFt, L x W in inches divided by 144 = SqFt. :devilangel

Guest vclimber
I would use a slightly different formula.? 31 x 80 = 3' x 7' = 21 x 2 = 42 Sq Ft.

[*]377577

Thats how I do it! Round up to the next foot -that way you get paid for the waste. :)

[*]377585

:):) Some people calculate the material used (ie: 30" windows from a 36" roll etc.) I just round up to the nearest foot, never down, and calculate from there. length x width in feet gove you SqFt, L x W in inches divided by 144 = SqFt. :rollin

[*]377589

The only problem with rounding up to the next foot on flat glass is that your roll sizes are not always constant. For instance, let's say you are bidding those 31x80's for a large commercial job in a Llumar E1220 film. Well E1220 only comes in 48" and 60" widths so if you calculate to 36" which is the next foot, you are in trouble because you are going to have at least another 12" of waste. So you have to know your material limitations which sometimes affects the way you can calculate footage. :devilangel

Guest carbontc

[*]377577

Thats how I do it! Round up to the next foot -that way you get paid for the waste. :devilangel

[*]377585

Get one of this:

B0002VM7OY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I got mine from Home Depot for $24.99 + taxes.

It measures the lenght of every opening, and also does the LxW and gives you the total sq/ft of any room, opening, etc. It works great indoors. I wouldnt suggest you to do it outdoors.

Also, I use it when I really need a scaffold, it measures the lenght from the floor to the ceiling. :rollin

You still can get one new for less if you want to order by mail at amazon.com

The link is shown below:

Laser Tape

Guest oldhare

Yeah but even if you cut 31" wide out of a 60" roll u have 29 or 28" left. It wouldn't be too hard to use that up. Pretty common window size for a double hung window or for the doors with the windows that measure around 24" x 66". No one realistically tosses out the waste. I even have used up 7" x 80" strips doing the sidelites on houses or the small transoms over front doors. Now if you can order a 36" roll for that installation your talking about 5.5 sq ft of waste that probably can't be used elsewhere. Usually the price I charge per square foot has the waste built into it, but I would never worry about something that small in my opinion.

:devilangel

one of our competitors estimates by charging for the waste but we do not. if the glass opening is 31x80 that is 17.22 sf for us. it doesn't mean that we buy the next largest roll and suck up the waste either. there might be 20 windows measuring 27x27 in the same house or another coming up the same week. most of the time we can plan the cuts and not have alot of waste. there have been many jobs where we came in lower on price and got the job without lowballing. not to say there's anything wrong with charging the client for the waste. just not what we do.

Archived