Need Vista Film Help

Guest saxguy

Guest saxguy

I recently had my house measured for application of Vista Film. The estimate I was given shows I can choose from 9 of Vista's Stadard films. I would assume these are the Dual Reflectives that Vista offers. My question is whether these are the films that are best for me. The whole house estimate came out to around $5700. As an example, one large sash window is priced at $144.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Spectra Select is a better choice. My home has a large Palladian window in the foyer and I am worried that the standard films will have too much internal reflectivity at night (there will be a large chandelier in the foyer). Also, I have a conservatory that has many large windows which will also be used for entertaining at night. I know the two Harmony films (V40 SR CDF and V50 SR CDF) seem to have good int. and ext. reflectivity, but I haven't seen the films.

FWIW, the house will be decorated in a traditional manner with fabrics that have deep reds and golds. We want to maintain a warm feeling inside the home.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question would be, what are you wanting the film to do once it is applied? Heat rejection, fade control, glare reduction, all of the above?

I am assuming you have decided on that product line. If so, to keep reflection down to a minimum, Harmony and the Spectra Select films would be best.

If you have not decided on that product line, there are products that are made from ceramics as well as the XIR technology. They are extremely low in reflection.

Guest saxguy

Yes, I am looking for all of the above. Basically I want to lower the electric bills in the summer, reduce glare, and prevent fading of furniture. I am definitely going to go with Vista. My installer recommended V38, but the int. reflectivity seems way too high. The V40 probably has the best combination of reflectivity and light transmittance, but I'm concerned about the color of the tint with my decor. I have read that the V40 has a greenish tint. I've also read that there is supposed to be a V40E coming that has more of an earthtone color to it. I'm supposed to have the installation on April 1st, but I'm not sure if the V40E will be available by then for comparison.

Guest metint

Harmony (a ceramic film) would be best... very neutral viewing from either side of the glass...

Spectra Select (XIR technology) would be second choice... very neutral, if not invisible from either side of the glass...

Dual reflective (V-14, 18, 28, 38, 48) all metal, no dyes... the lighter the film, the less obvious from an inside viewing perspective... the dark the film, the more the exterior look begins to appear greater in reflectivity than the glass itself.

If it were my place and what I know of how these products perform against solar energy, I'd be installing Harmony 40 or 50... personally, I'm partial to the 50. :beer

Guest metint
?  I've also read that there is supposed to be a V40E coming that has more of an earth-tone color to it.? I'm supposed to have the installation on April 1st, but I'm not sure if the V40E will be available by then for comparison.

[*]378305

V40E has a market launch date after April 1, and yes, will display a very earth-tone hue to it's color (very similar to a competitive product, but a swing more to brown than the green I see in a comparable product)...

... V40E's earth-tone will be more to the neutral than the present day V40 (though I was not aware of a green hue in present day V40, more blue than green to my eyes).

You must have done this through a third party not to have an idea of what the film looks like through samples? :gasp

Both V40 and V40E will be part of Vista's selection once in the market. :DD

On second thought, what State are you in? I can get a better feel for whether or not Harmony would be more suitable?

Guest saxguy

I'm in central NJ. I'm leaning towards the Harmony V40 at this point, although I'm wondering if I shouldn't reschedule my installation until after the new earth-tone film comes out. I have been in contact with a Platinum Installer for Vista and have discussed my needs. They said they only do Harmony installs if a customer asks for it. They usually stick to the standard films or the Spectra Select.

Guest metint

40 it is then....

A very nice film indeed... again, if it were my place and my decorative colors were red and gold... the tone of the present Harmony 40 wouldn't seriously clash... however I personally, would be inclined, too, to go with what the V40E is to look like.

I am not an interior decorator, though my wife thinks I would make a very good one...

Guest VOLTRON

Well the V40 harmony has a blue apperance and I dont think it would go well with your decor. It is an impressive film by numbers but I have heard alot of people not liking the blue color, that being the reason why they are coming out with the V40e that has a more earthtone apperance.

From the colors that you have talked about that you are decorating in I dont think the V40 would blend well.

Vista is a very good product and has a CDF (clear distortion free) adhesive as opposed to a PS (pressure sensitive) adhesive that can be a little blurry at angles of viewing.

If you are going to go with Vista I would suggest waiting on the V40E to see what you think about the color difference.

And you said you have not seen any samples of the films, I would not install anything until you have seen what it looks like. You dont want to spend 5G's and turn out to not be what you wanted.

My :gasp

Archived