Tinted i.g. units

I know that the general rule of thumb on tinting an I.g. is not to exceed 50% absorbtion. What about on a factory bronze tinted I.g. half temp., half annealed. The factory tinting is on the temp. side , and it is outside.

Guest vclimber

So you are applying film to the annealed side? It is always good to consider your glass dimensions, altitude, max temperature, glass condition, and very importantly whether or not you have shadowing.

In the case of exterior tempered/ interior annealed, the tempered is not counted because it is exterior and film will not be applied to it.

oh no wait....let's get technical shall we. too many variables to consider to answer your question...

what's the air space gap? 1/4, 1/2, 5/8? is it air, argon, or krypton?

who's the glass manufacturer?

what's the pane thickness? exterior and interior?

what's the seal condition?

what's the framing system? aluminum/steel tubular or solid, rubber gasket, wood sash, concrete?

what's the altitude? above or below 5000ft.

what are the average summer and winter temperatures?

is there an indoor shading treatment? drapes, blinds?

if so are the treatments light or dark?

what's the distance of the treatments from the window?

is the area ventilated?

what's the outdoor shading like on the window?

what direction does the window face? N, S, E, W?

Guest vclimber
oh no wait....let's get technical shall we.  too many variables to consider to answer your question...

what's the air space gap?  1/4, 1/2, 5/8? is it air, argon, or krypton? 

what's the pane thickness?  exterior and interior?

what's the framing system?  aluminum/steel tubular or solid,  rubber gasket, wood sash, concrete?

what's the altitude?  above or below 5000ft.

is there an indoor shading treatment?  drapes, blinds?

is the area ventilated?

what direction does the window face?  N, S, E, W?

[*]382996

Hey, your learning. :beer Those are most of the questions that you will find on a F2G chart which is the little chart that you need to makes sure your parameters fall into so that you can have your THERMAL BREAKAGE WARRANTY HONORED BY YOUR MFG. :lol

Dude, if you've been tinting flat glass for all of those 19 years, then you would know well enough to be asking these kinds of questions. Especially at altitude and in cold climates with huge temperature swings but I think you know that already Bill Nye... :beer

Hey, your learning. :lol Those are most of the questions that you will find on a F2G chart which is the little chart that you need to makes sure your parameters fall into so that you can have your THERMAL BREAKAGE WARRANTY HONORED BY YOUR MFG.  :lol

Dude, if you've been tinting flat glass for all of those 19 years, then you would know well enough to be asking these kinds of questions. Especially at altitude and in cold climates with huge temperature swings but I think you know that already Bill Nye...  :beer

:beer

I'm glad I'm finally learning.

you must have had a ton of windows break in your career to be so damn worried all the time. :lol

Guest vclimber

Hey, your learning. :lol Those are most of the questions that you will find on a F2G chart which is the little chart that you need to makes sure your parameters fall into so that you can have your THERMAL BREAKAGE WARRANTY HONORED BY YOUR MFG.? :lol

Dude, if you've been tinting flat glass for all of those 19 years, then you would know well enough to be asking these kinds of questions. Especially at altitude and in cold climates with huge temperature swings but I think you know that already Bill Nye...? :beer

:beer

I'm glad I'm finally learning.

you must have had a ton of windows break in your career to be so damn worried all the time. :lol

[*]383002

No I follow the F2G guidlines so my thermal break warranties are all valid. I wouldn't want to put my customers in a situation to where they think they have a warranty but then the MFG bails because I didn't follow directions...

I probably have fewer breaks than you and I am installing 5-6,000ft higher than you are, in this climate you have to be worried.

oh no wait....let's get technical shall we.  too many variables to consider to answer your question...

what's the air space gap?  1/4, 1/2, 5/8? is it air, argon, or krypton? 

what's the pane thickness?  exterior and interior?

what's the framing system?  aluminum/steel tubular or solid,  rubber gasket, wood sash, concrete?

what's the altitude?  above or below 5000ft.

is there an indoor shading treatment?  drapes, blinds?

is the area ventilated?

what direction does the window face?  N, S, E, W?

[*]382996

1/2 gap -1 inch unit

coastal glass, charleston, sc

both panes are 1/4

no glazing tape

bronze framing, rubber gasket

below 5000 feet

sum. 90 / win 45

mini blinds, screwed to bronze frame roughly 1.5" from glass / light in color

climate controlled

no shading

faces west

I was told by a SG supplier that you can usually get away with tinting a tempered unit dark. I ve got just two windows 50X70 to do.

Archived