My Door panels

Guest DVSoul

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DVSoul

A Couple Notes about Zolars technique that I found.

1. MEK dries VERY fast. For large pieces of vinyl, apply MEK to small areas of the backing at a time. (I found that about 4-6 inches straight across a 54" wide sheet allows for good removal without it drying to quick)

2.apply the weldwood glue liberally but evenly (both the object and vinyl back) Letting it dry for 15 or more minutes makes it very managable as I needed to "pull-up" areas that stuck where I didnt want them too very often.

3. I worked from the center out, so the very edges were quite dried out by the time I got to them. If more glue is needed in those areas, apply it and let it fully tack up first. I used a brush and once reached over the panel with it full of glue. the glue dripped onto the vinyl face as I crossed it...Damn!. I waited about 4-5 minutes before cleaning it (so that it tacked up a bit and wouldnt smudge) clean up was real easy, a little water (spit) and a towel...presto. POINT: Never cross over the project w/ wet glue.

4. Obviously keep a NEW razor blade on hand.

5. Heat Gun= Priceless. it allowed me to make unbelievable turns, curves & angles.

6. (For me to remember) get plenty of close pins or clips like such. I had a limited amount and needed more.

7. Patients. The peice stayed workable well into the second hour after aplying the glue so take your time.

Guest DVSoul

Yes, just my ordinary primer gun. I had to increase the PSI though. its pretty easy to get the hang of.

Once you get a gallon...it will need to be "aggetated" (or stirred really really well) there is a material (sand or something) that settles on the bottom of the can. I cut mine w/ acetone. Acetone helps seperate the sand/gunk so that it particlizes and sprays well. instructions are on the can.

I sware by it.

Guest zolar
Yes, just my ordinary primer gun. I had to increase the PSI though. its pretty easy to get the hang of.

Once you get a gallon...it will need to be "aggetated" (or stirred really really well) there is a material (sand or something) that settles on the bottom of the can. I cut mine w/ acetone. Acetone helps seperate the sand/gunk so that it particlizes and sprays well. instructions are on the can.

I sware by it.

[*]396519

cool tip :beer

glad the MEK trick worked out well for you :beer

Guest sewing_guy

I got some MEK and did a little messing around last night. I asked at Sherwin Williams and the guy just said "nasty stuff." LOL...He also tossed me some chemical resistant gloves and said to wear them.

Boy, once I got a little corner to lift up, it just sheeted the backing off. I was using some Windsong Polar Breeze, a marine grade vinyl, and just kept dapping the MEK on as I was pulling. One area got a bit too soft and it pulled into the foam just a bit.

I didn't try covering anything yet, I just wanted to see how the MEK was going to work. But it sure makes it stretchy. And surprisingly, it still has some strength to it. I was pushing my finger against it wrapping it around a corner, and it has a lot of give before breaking through.

From what I'm reading here, and what I've noticed in the past, one of the biggest things is to wait wait wait for the glue to dry. I tried spraying just a small area with glue. While it stuck down after a few seconds, I could tell it was going to do the same thing I've seen with regular covering....as the glue is drying, it puts off vapors, and they get trapped under the material and cause lifting at tight angles and depressed areas. If it's given enough time to dry, like everyone is saying, then it should work ok.

Good timing on reading this: Our Caddy customer wants his dash recovered. If it works, this is sure going to be cheaper than Just Dashes redoing it. Also, got an 85 Monte in yesterday for a full custom interior (we do the high-end boxes, bubbles and Donks around Central Illinois), and his side panels are looking bad. It will be a much nicer to cover with vinyl than paint.

Guest DVSoul

Hey guys, I wrapped my speaker pods last night. I used the same technique as before. they turned out suprisingly well for the amount of tricky curves on it..again, I cant thank you all enough. Check it out.

post-17341-1147433523.jpg

Archived