Retinting

Guest steamboat

Guest steamboat

Hello all, So I'm not that familar with tinting and all. Right now I havea a 30% all the way around on my car with a 5 inch up front. Can I get my car retinted without removing the previous tint? Also what could happen if I do this etc...

Thanks

It is never a good idea to apply film over film. It is also probably illegal to do so if you already have 30% installed, depending on what your state laws are. If you had a professional shop do it and they installed vlt certifications stickers, that is definately a bad idea.

I disagree with big money...I've done layers on layers many times with no problems at all ever. but I do agree with him on legality. if it's not legal don't do it. if it's legal where you are then go for it.

Guest steamboat

yeah that was the biggest thing that I was worried about...was having bubbles, having it peel, or something bad if I tired to tint layer on layer

As with legality I wasn't so much worried about that...what do they do if its darker than state law? Just a fine?

Also if I wanted my tint at about 10% or so after the layer and layer, what % should I get my second layer? I was thiking like 20?

I disagree with big money...I've done layers on layers many times with no problems at all ever.  but I do agree with him on legality.  if it's not legal don't do it.  if it's legal where you are then go for it.

[*]396893

We use to double layer SG's old titanium, and had several jobs come back a few years later for the film turning loose from the film, not the film from the glass, looked like diagonal line in the film starting from the corners, maybe its was the vlt of the film and the heat down here. :thumb My last SG rep also said there "could" be an adhesion problem film to film. Maybe VC can add to this.

I can guarantee you that VC will say it's not recommended to layer film  :DD

I don't care what people say...I just go by my experience.  :thumb

[*]396899

I know you dont. :thumb I have had some good luck with other brands of films, like the new TG from SG, ( I belive I saw some of that under your table on a pic you posted last month, I may be wrong though),but looking at the last post form that guy, I'm glad I was cautious with my experience's since he wasn't to worried about the legallity of it all. He probably had a pro do it and it wasn't dark enough.

Blade, did you see that guys last response? I guess thats what pierce was talking about last month, with newbies. :thumb

I also use allot of TG but have experimented with a few other brands here lately, basically due to price and color match. Tg has a stong green hue, and when installed on the solar tint factory glass, it tends to intensify, but I have it on all of my cars and company vehicles. :thumb

Guest steamboat
Blade, did you see that guys last response? I guess thats what pierce was talking about last month, with newbies.  :thumb

I also use allot of TG but have experimented with a few other brands here lately, basically due to price and color match. Tg has a stong green hue, and when installed on the solar tint factory glass, it tends to intensify, but I have it on all of my cars and company vehicles. :thumb

[*]396905

What do you mean? Also yeah I didn't do it myself, and I'm not planning to. I had someone do it like 2 years ago, and now I want it darker.

Archived