3M Prestige films

Guest darkdan

http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/scpd/prestige/index.html

The Prestige Films are incredible.

The 70 VLT has zero metals or stacked silver . These films can't corrode, so they don't need edge sealing! No interference with GPS or cell phones, 6 ft widths and less per Sq FT than the Silver folks using last century technology!

On angle-off angle, the performance is superior. The BTU rejection unequaled.

This is the real deal. .

The Giant is waking up. .

:DD

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/scpd/prestige/index.html

The Prestige Films are incredible.

The 70 VLT has zero metals or stacked silver . These films can't corrode, so they don't need edge sealing!? No interference with GPS or cell phones, 6 ft widths and less per Sq FT than the Silver folks using last century technology!

On angle-off angle, the performance is superior. The BTU rejection unequaled.

This is the real deal. .

The Giant is waking up. .

:DD

[*]401084

This is the REAL DEAL performance data tells all.

Prestige 70

TSER= 50%

SHGC=.50 (Lower is better)

SC=.59 (Lower is better)

Vista VS 70

TSER=55%

SHGC=.45 (lower is better)

SC=.51 (Lower is better)

Hilite 70

TSER= 55%

SHGC= .45 (lower is better)

SC= .52 (Lower is better)

A .59 shading coefficient is nothing to write home about... Shhhhhh, I think your giant is still sleeping. :DD

Guest darkdan

You can't have it all.

Prestige dries quickly, no cell phone interference problems, no corrosion problems (which most of don't have to worry about anyways), etc.

Still impressive for any film though. Puts it really close with the others you mentioned.

The way I heard the film is constructed it's 200 layers of micro polyester that refracts the light.

Guest vclimber
You can't have it all.

Prestige dries quickly, no cell phone interference problems, no corrosion problems (which most of don't have to worry about anyways), etc.

Still impressive for any film though.  Puts it really close with the others you mentioned.

The way I heard the film is constructed it's 200 layers of micro polyester that refracts the light.

[*]401104

You're right Dan, you can't have it all. It's just that I4NI said that Prestige's performance is "superior" on and off-angle. The facts do not agree with that statement as you can see. I am impressed with the microlayer technology though, I would like to know more about how they put it together...

Guest Denmark
We signed on to become a Prestige dealer. Of course, we have always primarily used 3M.

:finger:

The Prestige line is expensive but all of the films look really good, and the numbers are decent as well. They are designed to compete with the Huper/HiLite/Spectra Select/ V Kool type of products. Some shops do very well selling the high end films, some don't want to deal with the higher cost of having to inventory the film.

[*]397578

Hi, Readyman.

I have a small compagny in Denmark, and I want to buy 4 rolls of 3M Prestige 70 to start with. Can I buy it from you, or do you know, where I can buy it.?

Kind regards Denmark

The improvement of SHGC at a more acute angle of incidence raises the Prestige 70 performance higher than the silver stacked films.

No silver- or metals and that makes these films corrosion free and safe for coastal areas, and humid climates. The big issue for the 20th century films was the inevitable corrosion. The short term solution was to edge seal the films, but this only tends to delay the inevitable. The fact that there are no metals allows for easy installation unlike the super squeegee efforts needed to remove moisture on the silver stacked films, all mentioned.

The cell phone issue is also a huge issue since attenuation for the silver films mentioned do interfere with these transmissions.

Further, the UV rejected is greater than 99.5% based on unique properties of the Prestige 70.

This 3M nanotechnology film - -and the Prestige 40, 50 and 60 just might be that better mousetrap.

If this is sleeping. .they must be dreaming up the right patents and technology that are synonomous with the BIG RED LOGO.

Sorry for the excitement- -but- -you should see the BTU meter demo compared to the silver-rotto :finger: s. .quite impressive. .

Guest vclimber
The improvement of SHGC at a more acute angle of incidence raises the Prestige 70 performance higher than the silver stacked films.

[*]401123

You just have to be careful that in all of this excitement you don't overlook the fact that the claim would be true only because the total amount of solar energy actually coming through any vertical glazing system diminishes rapidly anyway as the sun climbs higher in the sky, falling to 0% solar heat gain (100% TSER) as the sun reaches an elevation of 90? (directly overhead). The claim?s triviality is shown also in the case of clear (unfilmed) glass which has the same ?perfect? solar performance when the sun is overhead.

But... If you look at a study that was done to compare the performace of Vista VS 70 (a silver stacked film) to Prestige 70 you will find that the Vista VS 70 performs slightly better through most of the acute angles until you reach the 60 degree angle where both films perform the same with a SHGC of .41. Again, not only is the TSER or SHGC on-angle claim misleading, but in the case of comparing to Vista VS 70 the Prestige 70 is no higher in an on-angle measurement.

No silver- or metals and that makes these films corrosion free and safe for coastal areas, and humid climates. The big issue for the 20th century films was the inevitable corrosion. The short term solution was to edge seal the films, but this only tends to delay the inevitable.  The fact that there are no metals allows for easy installation unlike the super squeegee efforts needed to remove moisture on the silver stacked films, all mentioned.

[*]401123

A benefit, sure. But if you live in the desert or a low humidity environment away from coastal regions, then corrosion is a non-issue in most cases.

Further, the UV rejected is greater than 99.5% based on unique properties of the Prestige 70.

[*]401123

Vista VS 70 has a greater 99.9% UV rejection. UV absorbers can be found in the Polyester where they should be for logevity.

Sorry for the excitement- -but- -you should see the BTU meter demo compared to the silver-rotto :spank s. .quite impressive. .

[*]401123

So do you think that the BTU meter test is the most accurate way to help a consumer find the best performing film? Did you know that BTU meters only measure a certain narrow wavelength of NIR (which makes up 53% of the solar energy) which coincidently falls in or very near to Prestige 70's 97% IR rejection in 900nm-1000nm range? Could this be part of the the big red marketing plan? :finger:

Archived