3M Prestige films

Guest darkdan

Guest squeegeepro
VC, You are very good. The NFRC is a major component and is very important. LLumar has received the Energy Star but is awaiting red tape to be certified to print the logo on our boxes and literature.

Actually you should be more concerned with the NFRC since that is the orginization that gives the Energy Star Rating which is what the flat glass industry is trying to get recognized by.

It will get interesting once mfg's try to qualify their films for the Energy Star Rating which can get rebates for customers from the municipalities. All the marketing games will be over and only NFRC recognized standards will be used...  :DD

[*]401593

Tintseller your name would not be Craig would it? :DD

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

I'm not trying to be right here, nor do I know it all. Far from it... Read Window Film Magazine Volume 10, Issue 2 ? March-April 2006, the article entitled "Energy Ratings for Window Film" and you will see how unrecognized solar energy measurements and the NFRC can and will affect the flat glass industry. If someone posts a claim about a film, they should want and should be able to back it up by using recognized standards. That is the direction things are headed and it is a good direction for everyone to go in. Wait until rebates start gettng handed out for Energy Star products, everyone will overhaul their marketing to get a piece of the action.

Guest darkdan

I believe I'm way below the volume requirement.....like way below. He didn't say specifically, but hinted towards, "Not close" if I can read facial expressions.

Oh well, I'll just work harder and maybe qualify next year.

He didn't question my loyality. He knows where 3M stands. Behind one or two other boxes. It isn't the first film (for auto) that I reach for. Plus, after being forced to change distributors and forcing a huge price increase on me I haven't been happy with 3M this year. I made no effort to pretend they're number one with me. Maybe number two.

Guest 01CLS

VC, You are very good. The NFRC is a major component and is very important. LLumar has received the Energy Star but is awaiting red tape to be certified to print the logo on our boxes and literature.

Actually you should be more concerned with the NFRC since that is the orginization that gives the Energy Star Rating which is what the flat glass industry is trying to get recognized by.

It will get interesting once mfg's try to qualify their films for the Energy Star Rating which can get rebates for customers from the municipalities. All the marketing games will be over and only NFRC recognized standards will be used... :thumb

[*]401593

[*]401878

That is news, I have not heard of that. Only V-Kool films have the logo on their viewers. I have not seen anyone that could beat there numbers. People claim they have the same numbers or better but all the test and side by side comparisons I have done, none compare. I know that might bring up a flame, but their film works better than anything else out there to block heat, not saying it does not have it problems.

Guest vclimber
I have not seen anyone that could beat there numbers. People claim they have the same numbers or better but all the test and side by side comparisons I have done, none compare.

[*]402535

Would you care to post your findings?

Apologies..I had thought that TD had closed this thread when the boys were going at it.

The Prestige films are unique and with the 70VLT not requiring edge sealing, a major advantage.

The NFRC , Energy Star, LEEDS, etc.etc.etc. along with tax incentives for home enrgy efficient products needs to be sorted out.

The 90 degree testing is the standard. .period. Nevertheless these Prestige films do increase their shgc when the sun is at a greater angle of incidence by a greater % than the silver films. Let's call it a draw on the performance specifically for heat rejection.

The films mentioned previously including Solis/V-Kool, Spectra, HiLIte etc. are all last century technology at it's finest. It wasn't easy to create these silver films and unfortunately for them. .they corroded. That's why you hardly ever see their films in humid climates. Strip and re-do's are cost prohibitive. .just ask some of the dealers in the humid , coastal areas what they experienced in the 1990's and early 2000's.

BUT

Since these 3M nanotechnology polymer films are 100% safe for these humid climates like Florida, Louisiana, AL and they are warranted by the BIG RED - -and you don't need an edge seal, and it doesn't interfere with RF, EM, Cell, GPS Signals- -and it drys almost immediately, and you don't have to squeegee it to death, and . .it's less expensive. .

Steve Jobs is quoted as saying:

"Innovation is the whim of an elite before it becomes a need of the public."

Change can be hard to accept.

3M may have been asleep - -but- -they sure seem awake to me right now.

Guest cactustint

last post I read of yurs you said big red innovation

nanotecnology

that has been around for a few years

now if big red would put cda on prestige instead of ps

it might be good then

Guest vclimber

The NFRC , Energy Star, LEEDS, etc.etc.etc. along with tax incentives for home enrgy efficient products needs to be sorted out.

In what way? NFRC is well along. Select Energy Star products receive rebates currently, window film could qualify as an engery saving product with NFRC approval. What else needs to be sorted out?

The 90 degree testing is the standard. .period.

Thank you! :spit

Nevertheless these Prestige films do increase their shgc when the sun is at a greater angle of incidence by a greater % than the silver films. Let's call it a draw on the performance specifically for heat rejection.

Let's wait and see what happens when they are tested in dependently according to NFRC standards...

The films mentioned previously including Solis/V-Kool, Spectra, HiLIte etc. are all last century technology at it's finest. It wasn't easy to create these silver films and unfortunately for them. .they corroded. That's why you hardly ever see their films in humid climates. Strip and re-do's are cost prohibitive. .just ask some of the dealers in the humid , coastal areas what they experienced in the 1990's and early 2000's.

BUT

Since these 3M nanotechnology polymer films are 100% safe for these humid climates like Florida, Louisiana, AL and they are warranted by the BIG RED - -and you don't need an edge seal, and it doesn't interfere with RF, EM, Cell, GPS Signals- -and it drys almost immediately, and you don't have to squeegee it to death, and . .it's less expensive. .

We have never had a corrosion problem, ever, and we started installing the stuff back in the Solis days when some other big company's film was turning purple. If you install then properly then the drying time is not an issue unless it is the CDF adheasive which needs 30 days to fully cure but then you get the best bond to the glass available, much better than DPS adheasive.

If corrosion is an issue in marine climates there are the nano-ceramic films that will not corrode in in humid climates and they have no dyes so you don't have to worry about color failure.

Steve Jobs is quoted as saying:

"Innovation is the whim of an elite before it becomes a need of the public."

Doesn't he live a few minutes down the road from Southwall Technologies who innovated a Nano-Technology film before 3M Prestige? :lol6

Archived