avoiding fingers on back windows

Guest jtm999

Guest jtm999

Hi everyone I'm new to your site and have a few questions about tinting the back glass on a car. It seems that every car I do even if its a easy car I always get fingers on the sides of the window. I always get them out but it seems to take about a half hour to work them out and sometimes longer,my tinting skills have improved greatly as I've been using your site for information but this problem persists. I've tried tacking down the sides and then shrinking, and leaving the tint hanging over the sides and shrinking and I can get it laying flat on the outside but it always fingers up on the inside. Is this because of the dot matrix or what. Thanks for your help.

Guest benjamin
Hi everyone I'm new to your site and have a few questions about tinting the back glass on a car. It seems that every car I do even if its a easy car I always get fingers on the sides of the window. I always get them out but it seems to take about a half hour to work them out and sometimes longer,my tinting skills have improved greatly as I've been using your site for information but this problem persists. I've tried tacking down the sides and then shrinking, and leaving the tint hanging over the sides and shrinking and I can get it laying flat on the outside but it always fingers up on the inside. Is this because of the dot matrix or what. Thanks for your help.

[*]397802

if your dry shrinking, I'd say you just have to make sure your get a good fit on the outside, make sure that the tint isn't hitting anything in that spot on the inside of the window. I had the same problem and I fixed it by just getting a good fit on the outside first. I always leave a little extra around the window when I'm shrinking then do a final cut when done shrinking. The only problem I have now is burning my tint on the edges sometimes! But I'm learning too.

Guest perfectint

[*]397802

if your dry shrinking, I'd say you just have to make sure your get a good fit on the outside, make sure that the tint isn't hitting anything in that spot on the inside of the window. I had the same problem and I fixed it by just getting a good fit on the outside first. I always leave a little extra around the window when I'm shrinking then do a final cut when done shrinking. The only problem I have now is burning my tint on the edges sometimes! But I'm learning too.

[*]397850

Guest perfectint

I find that where you set and pull on the outside to shrink first should be the same during installation. Use the same amount of pull inside and outside, this helps to keep the pressure the same.

Sounds like your doing everything right by your explanation.

I only wet the middle of the window before I shrink and sometimes rarely I will use an H-Pattern.

After you cut out the patter do you still have fingers on the side?

Guest darkdan

The inside of the curve is shorter then the outside of the curve. So this is normal.

When I get done dry shrinking I throw some water under the tint at the bottom 6" of the glass. Then I force up 3 fingers about 2 to 3" long and shrink them out. One on either side and one in the middle. Then when I go to put it inside I rarely get anything popping up at the bottom. If it does it's nothing major and goes down really quickly.

You should always work your fingers to the top and bottom of the back glass...otherwise your heating fingers "against the grain" these areas will also be the first to experience "film failure" on your customers in the future when done this way.

If you still can't get the fingers to be on the top and bottom only , then opt to use a relieve cut(s) for your fingers rather than heating them out , B4 you know it , eventually you won't even have to do that after more practice :bingo

Archived