I have a question that my sales rep. cant give me a clear cut answer to.

First, the film company I deal with primarily gives a seal failure warranty of two years if a pre approved film is used, and or a film to glass app. is submitted. This is from the date of installation of the film.

Second, we are a glass shop as well, theflat glass sales rep was here and said that I.G.s have a life span of 10 years, plus or minus depending on various conditions, and the glass warranty is only for three years from the build date. Void if film is applied regardless of the film caracteristics.

So if the unit is only good for ten years, you install film at this point, the units fail after film is installed, does film supplier pick up the tab or are us poor saps stuck with the bill. Has anybody run into this before? How many of you even bother to extend the warranty form to the customer?

On another note, the quality of these units vary from manufaturer, and some suck badly, are we to be blamed for seal and or glass breakage? The glass installers could also install these units to tight in the frame, just waiting on one of us to come along and apply pressure to the glass, and theres your break. :lol6

a film manufacturer is only going to give a seal-failure or glass breakage warranty with the film installation if there is already a warranty that exists on the glass. if the windows have no warranty to begin with then they shouldn't be given a warranty after film installation.

if the glass has a warranty, then, with most glass manufacturers, they void the warranty as soon as film is installed (jackasses looking for a way out) so then the glass will only have the warranty offered by the film manufacturer.

glass manufacturers will void a warranty on the glass for pretty much anything.....blinds too close, furniture too close :lol6

and willie....who the fock needs metint around here????? not me.

Guest vclimber
a film manufacturer is only going to give a seal-failure or glass breakage warranty with the film installation if there is already a warranty that exists on the glass.  if the windows have no warranty to begin with then they shouldn't be given a warranty after film installation. 

if the glass has a warranty, then, with most glass manufacturers, they void the warranty as soon as film is installed (jackasses looking for a way out) so then the glass will only have the warranty offered by the film manufacturer. 

glass manufacturers will void a warranty on the glass for pretty much anything.....blinds too close, furniture too close  :copcar

[*]398306

:lol6

Yep. Some will cover glass breakage for thermal shock if there is no warranty, but seal failure they are very strict about a glass mfg warranty pre-existing and in writing.

Guest willie
a film manufacturer is only going to give a seal-failure or glass breakage warranty with the film installation if there is already a warranty that exists on the glass.  if the windows have no warranty to begin with then they shouldn't be given a warranty after film installation. 

glass manufacturers will void a warranty on the glass for pretty much anything.....blinds too close, furniture too close  :copcar

and willie....who the fock needs metint around here?????  not me.

[*]398306

a film manufacturer is only going to give a seal-failure or glass breakage warranty with the film installation if there is already a warranty that exists on the glass.? if the windows have no warranty to begin with then they shouldn't be given a warranty after film installation.?

if the glass has a warranty, then, with most glass manufacturers, they void the warranty as soon as film is installed (jackasses looking for a way out) so then the glass will only have the warranty offered by the film manufacturer.?

glass manufacturers will void a warranty on the glass for pretty much anything.....blinds too close, furniture too close? :copcar

[*]398306

Yep. Some will cover glass breakage for thermal shock if there is no warranty, but seal failure they are very strict about a glass mfg warranty pre-existing and in writing.

[*]398313

I've never had a customer give me a manufactures glass warranty, probably due to the home builder not providing one to the home owner. We also have never issued one to the homeowner when we replace broken glass. We use three large glass manufacturers, and they dont even have a warranty form on file, they would have to print one up. Can you belive that?

Second, we have issued glass breakage forms to customers for tint, but have never been told by our film suppliers that a glass breakage warranty form from the customer was needed. :lol6 Maybe they we hoping that when the time came for us to have a claim, they would do the following, " oh by the way, do you have the original glass breakage form from the customer, you know that we need that in order to process your claim". :lol6

I hate being ignorant of the fine print s@#t. Maybe our new sales rep at SG south will help to educate me on the finer points.

Second, we are a glass shop as well, theflat glass sales rep was here and said that I.G.s have a life span of 10 years, plus or minus depending on various conditions, and the glass warranty is only for three years from the build date. Void if film is applied regardless of the film caracteristics.

So if the unit is only good for ten years, you install film at this point, the units fail after film is installed, does film supplier pick up the tab or are us poor saps stuck with the bill. Has anybody run into this before? How many of you even bother to extend the warranty form to the customer?

On another note, the quality of these units vary from manufaturer, and some suck badly, are we to be blamed for seal and or glass breakage? The glass installers could also install these units to tight in the frame, just waiting on one of us to come along and apply pressure to the glass, and theres your break.

Blade is right, IG unit warranties from the film manufacturers are only good as long as there is an existing glass warranty.

Bottom line is, all seals fail after time. Some fail sooner and some fail later. I find seal failure on new homes prior to the people moving in let alone the low-e coating corroding.

In 20 years of me installing, I have only had two situations where there was a warranty claim for seal failure. Both times it was our fault for not inspecting the glass prior to installing the film.

If you plan on offering the glass warranty, the customer needs to know that the warranty is only good if they have an existing glass warranty from the manufacturer. If not, there is no warranty.

If you installed the film at the ten year point, there is no warranty on the glass. On new homes I offer the extended warranty to my clients.

I do have a suggestion, all of the major glass manufacturers have their warranties on their web sites. I really think it would be a good idea for you guys to read them. I have been running into lifetime warranties for glass lately. The customer has no clue what these warranties say. After five years, there really isn't a warranty for the customer.The customer starts paying for glass replacement at this point.

When installing the film, inspect each window for cracks or fogging. If you suspect a seal failure and are not sure, place an ice cube on the interior of the glass for a minute or two. If the window seal is broken, you will see condensation on the interior of the IG unit

On another note, the quality of these units vary from manufaturer, and some suck badly, are we to be blamed for seal and or glass breakage? The glass installers could also install these units to tight in the frame, just waiting on one of us to come along and apply pressure to the glass, and theres your break.

Blade is right, IG unit warranties from the film manufacturers are only good as long as there is an existing glass warranty.

Bottom line is, all seals fail after time. Some fail sooner and some fail later. I find seal failure on new homes prior to the people moving in let alone the low-e coating corroding.

In 20 years of me installing, I have only had two situations where there was a warranty claim for seal failure. Both times it was our fault for not inspecting the glass prior to installing the film.

If you plan on offering the glass warranty, the customer needs to know that the warranty is only good if they have an existing glass warranty from the manufacturer. If not, there is no warranty.

If you installed the film at the ten year point, there is no warranty on the glass. On new homes I offer the extended warranty to my clients.

I do have a suggestion, all of the major glass manufacturers have their warranties on their web sites. I really think it would be a good idea for you guys to read them. I have been running into lifetime warranties for glass lately. The customer has no clue what these warranties say. After five years, there really isn't a warranty for the customer.The customer starts paying for glass replacement at this point.

When installing the film, inspect each window for cracks or fogging. If you suspect a seal failure and are not sure, place an ice cube on the interior of the glass for a minute or two. If the window seal is broken, you will see condensation on the interior of the IG unit

[*]398367

Thanks for that well thought out response without the bs. We should have our flat glass manu. rep. coming in today. I will have to beat a few more answers out of him today. :copcar

Guest vclimber
Second, we have issued glass breakage forms to customers for tint,  but have never been told by our film suppliers that a glass breakage warranty form from the customer was needed. :copcar  Maybe they we hoping that when the time came for us to have a claim, they would do the following, " oh by the way, do you have the original glass breakage form from the customer, you know that we need that in order to process your claim".  :lol6

I hate being ignorant of the fine print s@#t. Maybe our new sales rep at SG south will help to educate me on the finer points.

[*]398357

And the real fine print from the glass mfg's that says to the effect "your warranty is void if you install blinds within 4" of the glass surface." What does that tell you about glass breakage and release of liability?

I've seen the same clause in some film warranties as well. You have to read all of that stuff and review it with your customers.

Archived