3M Dealers????

Guest TintProtroll

Guest Readyman
Just ask yourself one thing: What happens if they start having problems with their new film that you just dumped all of your lines to carry exclusively, and bought $--- of inventory as the minimum purchase? If this were to happen, what position would you now be in?

Depends on where he is located, and what the state of the market is.

Here in California it would be no big deal, the majority of film man. will sell to anybody, and I mean anybody, as evidenced by the number of shops that come and go every year.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
Just ask yourself one thing: What happens if they start having problems with their new film that you just dumped all of your lines to carry exclusively, and bought $--- of inventory as the minimum purchase? If this were to happen, what position would you now be in?

Depends on where he is located, and what the state of the market is.

Here in California it would be no big deal, the majority of film man. will sell to anybody, and I mean anybody, as evidenced by the number of shops that come and go every year.

[*]399992

Well in the case of being a Prestige Dealer, you sign an agreement to seel only 3M and no other. So yes, 3M can sell whatever they want to whomever they want too, but you cannot. That is what he needs to think about real carefully before signing at the dotted line. :shock

Guest oldhare

If you become a #M Prestige Dealer there is a national advertising account buy in depending on your market size. Not all #M dealers will be eligible to become Prestige Dealers. You are asked to be exclusive 3M if you are a Prestige Dealer. However, you may order other products if it is specified for a job or if #M does not make a product that you are trying to match. As for the yearly "quotas" -- my company has exceeded the amounts set forward to me for the past 5 years. The quotas are set by the regional sales managers with the distributors. Most of them are very soft. My sales rep forwards on average 15 residential / commercial referrals a month. These referrals do not include national accounts through #M that the dealers are eligible to do the installations. If any of these national accounts are in my area then I am asked if I would like to participate in the installations.

At one point I was using many other products than #M. I have slowly started to use the 'brand recognition' to my favor and have become much more loyal. That does not mean I won't use another product if I find it to be more appealing to me.

FYI out of personal preference on my vehicles I have Suntek's Carbon. I do like #M's Color Stable but it is too blue from the inside out. Suntek's Carbon to me seems to have a little more brown in it--- more to my personal liking.

Guest vclimber

Well with 3M you are definitely paying for the name. There is value in that. I prefer Vista though, CP forwards leads regularly and sends national accounts and there is no buy in for their advertising. :shock

Guest oldhare

My buy in was not that big actually pennies compared to the larger markets but hopefully well worth it. I will be watching to see where them money goes. I am not opposed to a "buy in" beacause I feel it shows a level of commitment. They are committed enough to bring in serious dealers and those dealers that are buying in are going to want to increase their growth and remain commited to the product lines.

Because I'm not locked in to one manufacturer, I have access to any film specified within the market.

There are a couple I elect to not touch for reasons not worth elaborating here on this thread.

But if I need 3M film, I might pay a small surcharge penalty for it from an authorized dealer but that's no big deal.

Best of both worlds.

Devil

Guest South Coast Tints

Hi,

We are not locked in either, we use FTI and 3M about 50/50. We do find the 3M material really nice to use though.

When they are side by side, as we have it on one of our vehicles, you can really see a difference, just from a visual perspective.

Simon.

Guest darkdan

When you become a Prestige dealer does that mean only 3M auto and flat? Or just flat?

I'm talking to my rep on Thursday about it. I'd be hard to give up my Global.

Guest Last Days Tinter
When you become a Prestige dealer does that mean only 3M auto and flat?  Or just flat?

I'm talking to my rep on Thursday about it.  I'd be hard to give up my Global.

[*]400107

Hey darkdan, what Global flat glass film do you install most of? Just curious because I am fixing to install Alox20 on a home.

Guest oldhare
When you become a Prestige dealer does that mean only 3M auto and flat?  Or just flat?

I'm talking to my rep on Thursday about it.  I'd be hard to give up my Global.

[*]400107

All I can tell you is read the fine print in the contract. Your rep will be lookin at your shelves to see your loyalty. They will check your growth rate and purchases. I converted to 3M auto and flat and my prices on auto went way up. I am all in favor of doing less cars for a higher profit margin. But my major growth has been in flat. I do believe the Prestige line will be available for auto as well. If it isn't it will be.

Archived