Installing 4-mil hurricane film and prep...

Guest torque2k

Guest torque2k

Thanks for all of this killer information, everyone; this forum is great. It's more than I received from the company we're buying our security film from! I'm new to applying window films (though I've been a sign builder for years, so I know how to apply thin vinyl graphics to vehicles and sign boards).

I work for a security firm whose primary business is installation of access control systems and video surveillance. We recently took a bid (and were accepted) for installation of hurricane/safety film on 20 large windows at a postal service site (USPS). The job specified Concord Clear Security Films (4 mil) and Dow 995 Structural Adhesive. I'm trying to do my due-diligence on this, but there are a few questions I need help with.

Question 1: Dow recommends a "solvent wipe" to prepare the aluminum and glass prior to installation using their 995 adhesive. Should I be using just an ammoniated window cleaner like Windex, or straight isopropyl alcohol, or a true solvent like Xylene? I have an install coming up in a postal center, and I'm kind of concerned about attracting paper dust to the surfaces if I use a fast-drying chemical.

Question 2: What is the best method to tool the 995 to achieve a good wedge-shaped gasket? I'll be removing rubber gasket material from the inside of the glass, but leaving "wedges" to hold the glass in while the film dries (this is kind of what I picked up from a previous thread on using 995).

Question 3: Is a standard vinyl squeegee (4" plastic, like the ones you get when you buy a roll of 3M Scotchcal film) a decent tool for this application, or should I purchase the "application kit" the film supplier (Concord was spec'ed for this job) is selling?

Question 4: If I get a bubble, is it possible to simply "pop" it with an Xacto blade and press it back down, or do I need to pull the film and try again? On a related note, if a speck of paper/sand/microscopic alien spaceship DOES make its way behind the film as I'm laying it on, can I "pop" the area surrounding it and squeege it tight, or will this damage the ability of the film to stop the glass from becoming shrapnel in an explosion?

Thanks for any insight you may have!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow

I won't touch this even with a 20' pole.

This application is set for failure.

What a sad point of our industry that people promote this type of film to protect people.

Gotta agree with all the above.

Notwithstanding your sign background, to set out to do this job with no experience in film sounds like a disaster in the making. Installing 4 mil security film is tougher to install than regular solar film, and you haven't done that. The DC 995 is tricky to work with and MESSY.

You ask good questions, and with your background you could probably learn in time how to do this job. But there's no way you should be attempting this now. This is not a job for a rookie.

Guest Readyman

I agree with all of the above comments.

I can't believe that a job done for the Fed Gov't (or a department thereof) was specked with a film that any hack can buy off the web.

To correctly install any type of window film, there is much more involved than "sticky side down", this is especially true of safety or security film.

You really need to take a step back and think about this job.

There is a tremendous amount of liability in any type of safety film install, if you don't install the product or the anchoring system properly, and the system fails guess who is responsible?

Dow? :shock

Concord? :dunno

You, my friend, are the one held liable for all the work that you do.

If I were you, I would find a way out, maybe sub the job to a company that knows what they are doing.

Guest vclimber

Remember when they were advertising "Hurricane Film" in Florida? Something tells me history is going to repeat itself here.

4mil is clear film that is twice as thick as 1mil, that's about it. If someone thinks it will provide a good anti-intrusion barrier you'd best :shock

Remember when they were advertising "Hurricane Film" in Florida? Something tells me history is going to repeat itself here.

4mil is clear film that is twice as thick as 1mil, that's about it. If someone thinks it will provide a good anti-intrusion barrier you'd best  :shock

[*]400004

:dunno:please:)

mickey mouse go away!

Archived