Installing 4-mil hurricane film and prep...

Guest torque2k

Guest torque2k
If I understand it correctly, someone at the USPS decided that the spec for this job should be 4 mil Concord film with DC 995 - the spec was not determined by the guy's company.

You bring up a great point. As I was brought into the loop on this job quite late, I now find I was given inadequate information. After pressing my boss about it today, he gave me the history of this quote (going for about a year now)... OUR COMPANY spec'ed the film and adhesive, on the recommendation of Concord Films, and gave a quote to the contact at the sorting facility. Six months later we received a 50-page request for bid which listed our recommendations as the spec to use! So that's the problem here, they made a spec based on our inadequate suggestion.

After talking this through with my boss, I think we're going to take ourselves out of the line of fire on this job. Unfortunately, our parent company in another state recently spec'ed a similar job based on the same incorrect information (only they used 8-mil and NO adhesive), so I'm on the phone this morning putting out those fires.

Yep, this was pretty much all about $$$. I think I've informed the powers-that-be enough that we'll be calling in professionals in the future for these jobs. :lol6

Thanks for all of your help! Maybe one day we'll meet again... ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber
If I understand it correctly, someone at the USPS decided that the spec for this job should be 4 mil Concord film with DC 995 - the spec was not determined by the guy's company.

You bring up a great point. As I was brought into the loop on this job quite late, I now find I was given inadequate information. After pressing my boss about it today, he gave me the history of this quote (going for about a year now)... OUR COMPANY spec'ed the film and adhesive, on the recommendation of Concord Films, and gave a quote to the contact at the sorting facility. Six months later we received a 50-page request for bid which listed our recommendations as the spec to use! So that's the problem here, they made a spec based on our inadequate suggestion.

After talking this through with my boss, I think we're going to take ourselves out of the line of fire on this job. Unfortunately, our parent company in another state recently spec'ed a similar job based on the same incorrect information (only they used 8-mil and NO adhesive), so I'm on the phone this morning putting out those fires.

Yep, this was pretty much all about $$$. I think I've informed the powers-that-be enough that we'll be calling in professionals in the future for these jobs. :blah

[*]400252

Subcontract :lol6

Yep, this was pretty much all about $$$. I think I've informed the powers-that-be enough that we'll be calling in professionals in the future for these jobs. :wall

[*]400252

Subcontract :spank

[*]400260

:spank

Guest vclimber
something fishy here why arent we educating customers when we can when it comes to safety films?

[*]400441

Is it educating customers or training competition? :spank

Guest Readyman

IMO Security film should be a part of this industry that is not available to every tint shop without the proper education. And by education I don't mean taking some lame written test after a 4 hour course or just a weekend of training.

The film man. should set and keep a very high standard with who specs and installs this type of film.

Sooner or later unfortunately there will come a time when both the film and anchoring system will be put to the test, and if it fails due to a shoddy installation then there goes the reputation of the entire industry.

Guest vclimber
IMO Security film should be a part of this industry that is not available to every tint shop without the proper education. And by education I don't mean taking some lame written test after a 4 hour course or just a weekend of training.

The film man. should set and keep a very high standard with who specs and installs this type of film.

Sooner or later unfortunately there will come a time when both the film and anchoring system will be put to the test, and if it fails due to a shoddy installation then there goes the reputation of the entire industry.

[*]400461

Things are already heading that direction. Go try and buy some Gullwing from Madico to use on a security film job. :spank

something fishy here why arent we educating customers when we can when it comes to safety films?

[*]400441

Is it educating customers or training competition? :spank

[*]400448

I guess that would be hitting two birds with one stone :spank

[*]400461

I concur.

[*]400461

Great in theory but won't happen. Even if the major safety/security film suppliers tightened distribution so that only well trained installers could purchase material you would still have less well known suppliers distributing product. Look at this project - the specified film is not 3M, or Armor, or LLumar, or Madico, etc. - it's Concord Window Film.

Guest oldhare

[*]400461

Great in theory but won't happen. Even if the major safety/security film suppliers tightened distribution so that only well trained installers could purchase material you would still have less well known suppliers distributing product. Look at this project - the specified film is not 3M, or Armor, or LLumar, or Madico, etc. - it's Concord Window Film.

[*]400482

EXACTLY

Archived