Straight up guys

Guest MoW

I agree with V4V to a degree but, the issue on the one man show I do not as far as calling us vultures. I dont think that is called for. I dont advertise at all, and granite install mostly under subcontract but I still get calls to go bid. and its mostly referal since I dont advertise, hell sometimes I dont even know how some people get my # and they dont seem to remember either. Just because someone has a different business plan that doesnt entail a large marketing ploy doesnt mean they are a crook or vulture. Its just a different way to run their business.

:ninja

I could have written that post for myself......

except for using the word " granite " ! :?:?:uh

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SCSSFilmn

I brought this thread ttp because I just read it for the first time. WOW! :lol2

So much mentioned & touched upon that relates to me, being that live and work in the area mentioned.

Some of the before mentioned business practices that were and still are conducted today just make me :lol2 ! One of the reasons I went on my own, because I could not stand it any longer. I worked/installed for "one of those" for a short time. He was doing just as mentioned. Selling 8mil & its benifits, but having 4mil installed. Worse than that no anchor systems at all! His prices were all over the board.

I learned this later on, thinking I was installing what was purchased. But after cutomers begun asking questions and a little chit chat happend, I realized what was happening. (I did not sell out the company) but I did ask regarding. They insured me that it was not the case, that 4mil sold, 4mil installed. That the customer was just confused! Well, on the last job I did for them, I asked the customer to see their invoice. YEP!! 8mil & a 8mil price, but supplied me with 4mil for the job! :lol2 I called them on it, telling them that was the last job I would do for them.

I think back now on all those folks that payed for what they did not get! That and also some paying double the going rate for 8mil, but getting 4mil installed! :lol2

Good for him, scamming & ripping off folks. :lol2 NOT, because that just hurts all the honest folks & the industry.

Storm protection is a large reason ppl get S&S film here. If a big one does come, so will all the bad media after all the poor and mislead installations come to light. You know the press will jump on it!!

I keep all my records for this very reason. If a Hurricane does its thing, I will be able to go see the results. Hoping to prove that the proper product and installation did its job! To disprove the hack installations around. It may work out better down the road to educate consumers to the benifits of S&S & to also get the right company to do the job for you.

ALSO< had to add this....MMM dealer saying their film passed MD large missle test :lol2:lol2

As Gomer Pile would say...."SHAME_SHAME, SHAME ON YOU"

KEYWEST< did you ever get a response regarding the testing???

Guest SCSSFilmn
so you florida guys do anchor attachment on all your SS installs?

I don't on "all." I handle commercial & residential differently. I always advise when necessary. But if they opt out, then they sign for it! :lol2

Guest tallscott

If the Magnum 8 mil passed the dade lrg missle test it would be an "Dade County Approved" product! It's not! Also the dade test is not done on the 1/8" glass on your IG units. Also as far as 995 goes, Dow does not recommed it being applied to "Wood" frames. You shouldn't expect it to withstand the 175 mph winds used in the cyclic tests with just a small bead on anything. That being said, some bead is better than no bead! 8 mil is stronger than 4 mil. Something is better than nothing!! At that price it's a good deal, if you get a good job!

Guest Key West
If the Magnum 8 mil passed the dade lrg missle test it would be an "Dade County Approved" product! It's not! Also the dade test is not done on the 1/8" glass on your IG units. Also as far as 995 goes, Dow does not recommed it being applied to "Wood" frames. You shouldn't expect it to withstand the 175 mph winds used in the cyclic tests with just a small bead on anything. That being said, some bead is better than no bead! 8 mil is stronger than 4 mil. Something is better than nothing!! At that price it's a good deal, if you get a good job!

Right on Scott! :beer

Bulldog sent me LLumars "test" results and they used a 4 pound 2x4. :beer Last I heard, it required a 9 pound 2x4 with NO tearing/penetration after multiple impacts. Then theres that pesky cyclic (Positive and Negative) wind load tests. THIS is where the dow 995 comes into play. Even if shards are holding the glass in place, the positive and negative wind cycles will break them at the frame. It's generally the dow that holds things together. The Dow bead needn't be as big as that required for bomb blast, but a thin bead, while better than nothing, is NOT sufficient. It needs to be a MINIMUM of 1/2" on the glass and 1/2" on the frame. Works great on most commercial frames, but most residential frames do not lend themselves to an attachment. Bond-Kap may be the answer to that, but to my knowledge, It's not been tested or approved. It may very well be a good product, and seems to be the only answer to some types of framing.

From what I've seen in S Fla, edge-sealing or a small bead is applied SOLELY to hide p1ss poor cutting.

Archived