2006 Acura TSX tinting questions

Guest julesboy

Guest julesboy

Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 TSX w/Navi and I want to start looking into getting my car tinted. I've read many threads talking about the window seals on TSX's being too tight and scratching the tint. Also that metallic based tint can screw up either AM radio or Navigation/GPS signals. So hear's my questions:

*Is a dye, ceramic or metallic based tint better than one another and for what reasons?

*Does any of them effect XM sat. radio signal, FM signal or the Navigation system?

*Is it essential for the best tint job to get them to install it with either felt, material of some kind, or moleskin? (also is one of these options better than another?

*If installing one of those options (ie moleskin etc.) Do you do all four windows that you can roll up and down? Wondering, as I seem to always be using all four windows.

*After getting the car windows tinted (using moleskin or felt or whatever) does that create any unexpected rattles or noises?

*If people have had problems with scrathing. How long after you take it home from the tinting place do you start to notice scratches on your windows. A week, a month, a year?

*Has anyone taken their car back to the tinter after having scratches appear and if so did the tinting place cover it and re-do it for free?

*Can someone explain the darkness or lightness of tints (what the %'s mean) and how it relates to what the CA laws are?

*What general price range am I looking for to get my TSX fully tinted?

*Can anyone recommend (in Los Angeles area - or even better on the westside) really reliable trustworthy places to get the job done correctly so I don't have to bring it back again to be re-done?

Sorry - I know way too many questions...

Thanks - in advance, I really appreciate any opinions, comments or feedback

Guest julesboy

So I heard that ceramic is the best way to go and even more specifically Formula One Pinnacle. Apparently they have some kind of scratch resistant warranty. I guess this makes the moleskin/felt idea not necessary.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Guest ninjatinter

Hi there. To tint your car properly, you will want the felt installed. If you don't, you will regret it big time. I have fixed plenty of TSX and TL's that were not felted. And yes metal based films will tweak your nav. Ceramic has been rumored to have a slight bit of metal , however I have never been a "ceramic" Dude. Use a good colorstable dyed and you will be fine. :DD

Guest zolar
Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 TSX w/Navi and I want to start looking into getting my car tinted. I've read many threads talking about the window seals on TSX's being too tight and scratching the tint. Also that metallic based tint can screw up either AM radio or Navigation/GPS signals. So hear's my questions:

*Is a dye, ceramic or metallic based tint better than one another and for what reasons?

All the different types have different benefits

Dyed film cant intefere with anything

some use the buzzword color-stable

which can mean the actual polyester is dyed before it is extruded into film

or it is Deep dyed using CP's G4 technology

or it is the same cheap dyed stuff with a new buzzword

depends on the filmmakers

Ceramic is the newest buzzword for silver nitrile or other "non-metallics"

as a infra-red (heat) absorber in the film

it does not have a very long track record ...and is quite expensive

but has less chance of interference in some RF bands

Metallic films offer high heat rejection and usually last longer than dyed films

the exterior reflectivity is much higher so the look is different

they have the highest shielding effect on AM and  RF recievers, but is still minimal

most of us use Hybrid high performance films that have a metalized layer and a dyed layer

they only very rarely interfere with AM, or GPS

*Does any of them effect XM sat. radio signal, FM signal or the Navigation system?

XM....no

FM.....no

AM....remote possibility

NAV...rarely

the TL uses an alpine GPS with a rear deck or dash mounted antenna

a non metalized film on the back glass would remove the possibility of interference

*Is it essential for the best tint job to get them to install it with either felt, material of some kind, or moleskin? (also is one of these options better than another?

they will likely scratch if they aren't felted

*If installing one of those options (ie moleskin etc.) Do you do all four windows that you can roll up and down? Wondering, as I seem to always be using all four windows.

only do the windows you would roll down

*After getting the car windows tinted (using moleskin or felt or whatever) does that create any unexpected rattles or noises?

....no

*If people have had problems with scrathing. How long after you take it home from the tinting place do you start to notice scratches on your windows. A week, a month, a year?

some ......never

some .............weeks or months

*Has anyone taken their car back to the tinter after having scratches appear and if so did the tinting place cover it and re-do it for free?

it is a manufacturer defect in the hard plastic gaskets

most credible shops will warn you ahead of time

if not I just did

Scratches are not covered under warranty  :lol2

*Can someone explain the darkness or lightness of tints (what the %'s mean) and how it relates to what the CA laws are?

% = the ammount of light let through

5% = black

70% = factory glass

no prices please  :thumb

*Can anyone recommend (in Los Angeles area - or even better on the westside) really reliable trustworthy places to get the job done correctly so I don't have to bring it back again to be re-done?

try the registry of tinters on the main page

[*]402119

good luck :thumb

Guest julesboy

Thanks so much for all your comments. It seems as though using felt is recommended, but I have heard stories that it can tend to retain moisture and also possibly jam up inside the door so that the window can't move.

Also does anyone out there use the ceramic based Formula One Pinnacle tint? It seems to have glowing reviews with customers online and their warranty seems to cover scratching? Has anyone used this of seen this tint in action?

Guest ninjatinter
Hi everyone,

All the different types have different benefits

Dyed film cant intefere with anything

some use the buzzword color-stable

which can mean the actual polyester is dyed before it is extruded into film

or it is Deep dyed using CP's G4 technology

or it is the same cheap dyed stuff with a new buzzword

depends on the filmmakers

Ceramic is the newest buzzword for silver nitrile or other "non-metallics"

as a infra-red (heat) absorber in the film

it does not have a very long track record ...and is quite expensive

but has less chance of interference in some RF bands

Metallic films offer high heat rejection and usually last longer than dyed films

the exterior reflectivity is much higher so the look is different

they have the highest shielding effect on AM and? RF recievers, but is still minimal

most of us use Hybrid high performance films that have a metalized layer and a dyed layer

they only very rarely interfere with AM, or GPS

XM....no

FM.....no

AM....remote possibility

NAV...rarely

the TL uses an alpine GPS with a rear deck or dash mounted antenna

a non metalized film on the back glass would remove the possibility of interference

they will likely scratch if they aren't felted

only do the windows you would roll down

....no

some ......never

some .............weeks or months

it is a manufacturer defect in the hard plastic gaskets

most credible shops will warn you ahead of time

if not I just did

Scratches are not covered under warranty? :lol

% = the ammount of light let through

5% = black

70% = factory glass

no prices please? :spit

try the registry of tinters on the main page

[*]402119

good luck :lol2

[*]402273

Jeez what happened to the "EASY" button!!!!! :lol

Archived