Practice today on my car

Guest Ernesto

Guest Ernesto

OK so I got bored today after doing a job (remodeling a house) and decided to keep on practicing (tinting). I never really practiced on my car before. Only once before but it was a bad experience. I had no heat gun, outdoors, really windy, film flying every where... :thumb You guys get the idea...

Anyways so today I decided to take a shot at it. Bad thing was the location, I was outdoors in a driveway that my grandpa has (kinda like a garage with no roof). It wasn't too windy, once I sprayed soap/water onto the window the film would hold with no problem.

I started off by doing the back window on the Expedition. It was really easy. I was really happy even though these windows aren't a big deal, this was the first time I successfully cut the film, remove all fingers, and get the film on perfectly. First window only problem was I left a little too much film but with my little foot (think its what its called) I easily tucked the film nicely. Other back window, I cut out perfectly, removed all fingers, and it went on even better than the previous one. Both looked great.

I then moved on to the middle row windows. I decided to do the larger windows (ones that roll down). Previously I have had problems with tucking the film (in the Lancer). I cut the film out pretty good. Only thing I don't under stand is how am I supposed to get the fingers out (wet shrink) if the film is slightly larger than the window (when rolled up). It's larger because I cut the bottom piece, then sides, then I lower the window down the window to cut the top piece. Rolled the window up and layed the film outside of the window to start getting it nice and smooth (wet shrink). Problem is that I have a part of the film (upper part) that isn't on the window therefor I can't make it completely smooth (film is larger than window)...What do you guys suggest? How do you guys go around this?

I tried doing some thing I hate doing, getting rid of fingers when the film was already on. Some went away but some stayed. I tucked the film and rolled the window up and down to see if the film would get caught...It didn't :thumb

How do you guys get around to removing those fingers?

Guest zolar

stick with it ernie :thumb

you just need a few hundred hours behing that heat gun

dont worry about the top

force all the fingers to the bottom

shrink them all the way out...and it will lay smooth

Guest Ernesto
once the film is cut, move it up and squeegee the upper area in a curve to bring the fingers to the bottom like in this pic:

doorshrink.jpg

[*]402286

Ahh ok that helps alot...thanks man :thumb

Guest Ernesto

And the film MUST be squeeged out on the same window it's going on, correct? For example, I couldn't squeege the water out of the film that's going on my front window on my 3rd row glass since it's wider and taller, correct?

Guest Ernesto
I thought this guy worked in a tint shop before.. tawkin shi..... at

[*]402332

I go to a shop to learn. However I don't get paid yet, since I cannot completely tint on my own. Owner told me as soon as I can he will start paying me. Yesterday I had a private job to do. I had to remove all the tiles, and break down bathroom walls in a house, which did pay me. So instead of not getting paid yesterday by practicing at a shop I went and did the job at the house, got paid, and still got to practice on my own :thumb

Can't wait until I can do most windows on my own. :thumb

Archived