Remote Start Not Working on Ford Explorer

Guest WeeWanker

Guest WeeWanker

My wife has a 2002 Ford Explorer with the Ford security/remote start that has stopped working. It has done this once before, but it was just a 5amp fuse that time.

What happens is that when you press the start button, the vechicle locks the doors, soleniods click, the dash lights go on as if it will start, but nothing. It then repeats the cycle 3 more times with the 5 second delay then stops trying as normal.

It starts fine with the key. I've checked all the fuses by the under-dash modules, (2 x 25amp, 2 x 15amp, 1 x5amp), and all are fine. The rest of the functions work fine. IE: when it is running with the key, if you press the start button again, you can take the key out, lock and unlock the doors. It just won't engage the starter with the remote.

With black leather interior, and the hot summer coming, my life would be easier if I can get this working so she can have a cool interior.... :lol2:cool

Does anyone have any thoughts as what to check next?

Thanks in advance,

WW

Guest Guest

Check your hood pin. Most place will install one so the vehicle will not start if the alarm see's the hood open. Usually those things will get snapped off, or rusty and what not.

Just open the hood.. find the plunger pin switch... press it down with your finger so you know it is down.. and try to start the car while holding it down..... (or just unplug it and try to start the car)

typically the only 2 things on a remote start that will keep it from cranking is

1) it see's the hood open

2) it see's the brake pedal being depressed

3) You have a bad connection (t-tap) where the alarms taps into the crank wire

that's it.... nothing else.. motor easy..

Guest zolar

stick the key in the ignition without switching it on

if it will start remotely .....

............you have a bad transponder/immobilizer bypass module

:cool

Guest Guest

I don't think a bad transponder module would keep the rig from turning over... but it would keep it from firing....

Good test.. worth a shot.. :cool

Guest WeeWanker

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the hoodpin a shot in the morning.

I've tried with the key in the ignition but off, and all that happens is the the unit beeps twice and will not attempt anything, so I don't think it's a transponder issue.

I'll advise what happens.

Thanks,

WW

Guest WeeWanker

Thanks to the suggestions. It's working again :nope

I checked the hood pin with no luck. Then I rececked everything under the dash. What a mess for a Ford installed product. There must have been a loose connection somewhere, because when I was done, it was working fine.

WW

:beer

Guest WeeWanker

:jerkit It's happening again. I pulled out the entire system, verified evey fuse and relay. I did NOT change/bypass the hood sensor at the time, (I didn't think of it until after.) Once I receonnected all, worked for ~ 6 remote starts in a row. All remote funcions work, door locks, remove key and keep running, etc. Start funtion tries four times then stops. I haven't noticed and difference on either console theft light or alarm system led flashing differently.

Someone I talked to suggested checking the steering ring sensor???

Also, just a side note, the system has a 3wire, (4 pin jack) by the firewall that seems to sometimes start if I plug/unplug it as I am trying remote start.

Anyone have any thoughts?????

Thanks,

WW

Archived