Removing fingers from windows

Guest Ernesto

Guest Ernesto

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/01...011170.1-lg.jpg

The pic above is the expedition is similar (different color) to the one im practicing on. The 3rd row windows are a piece of cake :beer No fingers, nothing, I just take my time to cut the film perfectly, besides that its simple. The fingers tend to come off easily on these windows.

Now take a look at the little window in the middle row. How should I go to remove the fingers from those little windows? Those windows are pretty simple to cut but to remove the fingers out of the 8 times I have tried, it hasn't happened yet.

Anybody here have any experience with this exact car or a similar one? How do you remove fingers? What I do is I soak the window with soap/water after I have already cut it out and smooth it a little with a gold card (sleeved) then start passing the heat gun through the fingers. Soon as I see them moving I flatten them down with my hand and then with the card (I keep switching). Do you guys do any thing different? This seems to be my only problem right now. :lol2

Guest darkdan

I think maybe the film is hitting the side and then bunching up. Those windows are way too small and flat to get a finger from the curve.

Trim the film smaller or trim a bit of the rubber off the back side.

Guest Ernesto
I think maybe the film is hitting the side and then bunching up.  Those windows are way too small and flat to get a finger from the curve.

Trim the film smaller or trim a bit of the rubber off the back side.

[*]403129

OK will do...What about the actual middle row window (main, bigger window)? Do you soak down the whole window or just the middle or how do you get around to wet shrinking these windows?

Guest darkdan

I preshrink all my roll down windows just a bit.

I lift the film off the glass along the bottom. Then I run my heatgun across it at a medium pace.

Then I install it and if anything pops up at the bottom I just hit it with the heat gun.

I don't know what you're doing wrong to be getting so many fingers. But on that vehicle you should only get 1 or 2 small ones on those middle roll downs. If you lift the bottom and wave the heat gun at it (you can see the film react) you shouldn't get any. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

Archived