Just told my windows are going to BLOW out!!

Guest Hybrid93Hatch

Guest Hybrid93Hatch

Me and a buddy tinted one of my bedroom windows yesterday. I wanted something that is going to keep the light out so I picked up a few rolls of Axius tint (2 1/2%) from Wal-Mart. We tinted the one window and what a difference it makes with the heat when standing by the window that is not tinted.

Anyhow, decided that I want the rest of the house tinted (20%) and call a local shop. Here's the outcome:

So, I call a shop to see about having the downstairs tinted. I get talking to the guy and tell him about the 2 1/2% I put on my bedroom window. He chuckles then tells me that the window is going to blow out with such dark tint!! I'm ready to freak out as he says this! He said the double pane (sp?) glass has gases between the glass and the tint will attract too much heat, the gas will expand, and eventually blow the window out or crack the glass.

While on the phone he asked, "Is the sun hitting the window now?"

I replied, "No, only in the morning and early afternoon."

Him: "Well go to the window and feel how hot it is."

Me: "Wow, ice cold."

Is this true? My buddy just tints his own vehicles so he wouldn't know.

I'm going to check the window tomorrow when the sun is on it!

It's not as dark in person:

468209_602_full.jpg

Both windows blinds are in identical position. Right just missing tint:

468209_603_full.jpg

The light was killing my nice curtains. I also sleep during the daylight hours so I want the room as dark as possible:

468209_604_full.jpg

Outside view:

468209_607_full.jpg

And then I notice the neighbor across the street has ONE extremely dark window (top/right):

468209_606_full.jpg

Guest vclimber

Here is what happens. All films absorb a percentage of solar energy, a 2 1/2% film is going to absorb a lot of energy which will cause the pane of glass to expand and pull apart. As the window heats up the edges stay cool because they are not exposed to the solar energy. The uneven heating will cause the glass to literally pull itself apart until it cracks at a weak point, it does not explode or blow out. It is called thermal shock or thermal breakage. Dual pane glass is highly subject to this if the wrong film is applied.

If you have annealed glass which looks to be the case, the annealed glass is not that strong and can only handle a 50F temperature difference. Tempered glass on the other hand, can with stand 4 times that. So if your glass is tempered, you might dodge a bullet, if not, you may want to pull the film off.

:beer on what VC said. it looks like it's probably annealed glass. if it were my home I'd take that film off. I wouldn't wanna take the chance of having to replace the windows. 2.5% film has much too high of an absorption for installation on thermal pane windows. :thumb

the sun hitting the windows in the morning makes it even worse. the windows cool down nicely at night and then heat up quickly in the morning once the sun hits em. that's trouble waitin' to happen.

Is that typical of an American home in style?

OMG they look like a boxes with caps on it.

Not having a go at you mate but just interested to know.

Devil

its true, I think most houses here in america are plain garbage but lucky for us, we exploded with the prices that they go for. especially in california

:spit on what VC said. it looks like it's probably annealed glass. if it were my home I'd take that film off. I wouldn't wanna take the chance of having to replace the windows. 2.5% film has much too high of an absorption for installation on thermal pane windows. :spit

the sun hitting the windows in the morning makes it even worse. the windows cool down nicely at night and then heat up quickly in the morning once the sun hits em. that's trouble waitin' to happen.

good enough said.

just take those papers off and buy a reflective film with less than 50% heat absorbance..

Guest Hybrid93Hatch
Is that typical of an American home in style?

OMG they look like a boxes with caps on it.

Not having a go at you mate but just interested to know.

Devil

Typical for a family starter home in a subdivison. I'm a single guy and this is my first home. I will sell it within 4 years and move on to something nicer.

Well, thanks for the input everyone! I ripped the tint off last night because last thing I want to do is replace a brand new window. I'm new to the site so I'm going to lurk around and see what is best for me since I want privacy (darker look) as well as the heat reduction.

Thanks again!

Guest Hybrid93Hatch

Did some searching under "dark" / "privacy" and only found a few topics. Only 1 really covered what I am looking for but it was mainly about some guy wanting privacy at night to smoke weed :finger:

Turned out blinds are probably what he needs :gasp

What do you guys recommend for my situation:

Just want darkness for my bedroom (as dark as possible), heat blockage, and fading protection for my curtains.

For the rest of the house all of the above but not as dark.

Window is dual pane, pretty sure annealed glass (family starter home built last year), and the sun hits the window from rise until est. 4-5pm.

Thanks again for any help!!

PS <> Is there anyway to edit posts? I was going to add this to the very top, but don't see an "EDIT" button

Guest vclimber

Kinda new to this... Q what does 2 1/2 % tint mean??

anyone tell me what 2 1/2 % tint means

thanks in advance

2 1/2% is Visible Light Transmittance

Archived