Tempered Glass "Roller Stress"

Guest sunbuster

Guest sunbuster

This topic was brought up recently. The texture on the glass is called "roller stress". When the glass is tempered, one side has no contact with anything, and the other, as you can imaging has contact with the rollers. Since, glass is soft and vulnerable to heat, it is suseptable to the fingerprint left behind by the imperfect rollers. This is of no concern to the manufacture, since they do not clean their windows with blades. This is why you will come across tempered glass, possibly all in a row, where some windows are smooth, and some, have "that scratchy sound". Blue or white scrunch pads work well if the glass is pretty clean, but you can use steel wool on heavily soiled windows. Steel wool also works great on your bathroom fixtures. I always point out these windows to customers, and explain what happens if we scrape. I also explain the temporary "grainy" appearance they will see as it cures (temporary with "C" adhesives). I ask them if they have ever scraped their shower windows, and heard that scrape...most have. They understand, and are pleased to know a new way of cleaning their showers. :bingo Good Luck Tinters! and FILMSPEED!

Guest VOLTRON

well one other thing that sucks about this kind of glass is that if you dont scrape it with a blade then it leaves all that debris on the glass and when you tint the window it looks and feels like there is dirt all in it. I usually scrape the window to try and knock off the debris that are baked into the glass> dealt with these kind of windows today as a matter of fact.

Guest vclimber

Sometimes they're realy bad and sometimes they are super smooth. I just take em on a case by case basis and clean accordingly.

This thread reminds me of a situation my boss had.

One of his flat glass guys went to prep a very large curved lite and it was "ticking" as he bladed it. Of course every pass of the blade caused scratches.

The home owner was none too pleased and it wound up costing about 5k to replace the glass.

Word to the wise, if you hear grit or ticking when you are blading a window, STOP, it is scratching!

If in doubt, test your blade in an inconspicuous place. If it makes noise, put the blade away and just use scrubbers!!! :klingon

Sometimes they're realy bad and sometimes they are super smooth. I just take em on a case by case basis and clean accordingly.

amen to that. when cleaning this type of glass, amazingly I've never encountered a time where I've scratched a glass like this, except when removing old film. the grainy feel is always there, I haven not yet felt or seen a glass being so perfect. what I always do when using a scraper, is clean at a "round" motion instead of cleaning up and down straightness....

Guest sunbuster
well one other thing that sucks about this kind of glass is that if you dont scrape it with a blade then it leaves all that debris on the glass and when you tint the window it looks and feels like there is dirt all in it. I usually scrape the window to try and knock off the debris that are baked into the glass> dealt with these kind of windows today as a matter of fact.

The texture is magnified by the water under the film. When the water dries, the texture is virtually invisible. Whenever I explain it to a customer, they always appreciatem that we knew enough not to scratch their glass. Unfortunately, there are times, when you just have to scrape (S&R)

Archived