Tint color shades

Guest ptch_blu

Guest ptch_blu

Hi

I have a new Sonata in the color called "Deepwater Blue". It's more like "Deepwater Black", in that it looks black in most light or from a distance, but when close up you can see the blue sparkles in the paint and that it is really a dark blue.

I'm looking at ceramic tint (I.e. Formula One Pinnacle 35%), but am concerned about what shade it might be on my blue-black car. Some of the tints I see on cars driving around town almost have a very slight greenish caste, and I would hate to end up with something like that on this car.

I'm favoring the non-metallic tints due to potential interference w/ my radio (yes, I also listen to AM) as well as the radar detector I plan on getting next.

Does anyone have any feedback on non-metallic brands, and whether they have a bluer tone or a greener tone?

I'm not committed to the F1 Pinnacle, but leaning heavily that way...(and yes, I have an installer in my area).

Guest darkdan

Does the sonata have the antenna in the window?

The green usually comes from the fact that the glass has a slight green hue to it. Roll your window down halfway and you'll see it.

You could pay the shop to do one window, and if you don't like it, pay them to remove it. But I doubt there will be a problem. Or ask them for a piece of scrap you could hold up to the window.

Otherwise, 3M's Color Stable or Solar Gard True Grey and a few others would provide a blue/black look.

Guest ptch_blu
Does the sonata have the antenna in the window?

The green usually comes from the fact that the glass has a slight green hue to it. Roll your window down halfway and you'll see it.

You could pay the shop to do one window, and if you don't like it, pay them to remove it. But I doubt there will be a problem. Or ask them for a piece of scrap you could hold up to the window.

Otherwise, 3M's Color Stable or Solar Gard True Grey and a few others would provide a blue/black look.

Yes, the antenna wire is in the back window above/between the defroster wires

I'll check out my factory tint as you suggested...

I've held scrap/sheets up to the window, but it's difficult to tell what it will really look like w/ all of them done (I'm doing the front sides also)

I haven't checked those brands out yet - I've seen the F1 Pinnacle, Johnson (non-metallic), and Sun Tek (carbon).

On another topic, what is the difference between the "ceramic" and the "carbon" films (besides price)? And is the "carbon" just another dyed film, or is it somehow different from the other dyed films?

Guest darkdan

My suntek carbon looks green like crazy. Supposedly they fixed that problem after I stopped using it.

redgp.jpg

The "ceramic" films are high heat rejecting films with no metal and low reflectivity. The carbon films don't have the high heat rejecting performance.

I'm not sure if Suntek's Carbon actually contains carbon or if it's a fancy name. My 3M ColorStable has carbon in it to dye it. That's what gives it the color stability. Suntek's won't fade, but time will tell on whether or not color change happens.

Of the three you've checked out, the F1 is the top dog in performance. That's not to say the others aren't nice. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you decide on. The Johnson Greystone shouldn't be too green.

But of course, like I said, a lot of that has to do with the color of your windows. With a nonreflective film the green tends to come out less then with a reflective film.

Basically, you're worrying too much. LOL. =)

Guest ptch_blu
My suntek carbon looks green like crazy. Supposedly they fixed that problem after I stopped using it.

redgp.jpg

The "ceramic" films are high heat rejecting films with no metal and low reflectivity. The carbon films don't have the high heat rejecting performance.

I'm not sure if Suntek's Carbon actually contains carbon or if it's a fancy name. My 3M ColorStable has carbon in it to dye it. That's what gives it the color stability. Suntek's won't fade, but time will tell on whether or not color change happens.

Of the three you've checked out, the F1 is the top dog in performance. That's not to say the others aren't nice. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you decide on. The Johnson Greystone shouldn't be too green.

But of course, like I said, a lot of that has to do with the color of your windows. With a nonreflective film the green tends to come out less then with a reflective film.

Basically, you're worrying too much. LOL. =)

Haa - I worry too much about everything! I call it "ddd" - decision deficit disorder!

Thanks for your feedback re color. I hadn't thought about it til I really started looking at other cars.

And the carbon explanation was great. I was already leaning pretty heavily toward the F1 Pinnacle - since I just plunked down close to $20k on this car, what's a few dollars more?

Now for those polished rims and the oh-so-necessary radar detector (Valentine? Bel? oh wait, that will have to be on another forum ... :beer )

Thanks again!

Guest darkdan

Actually, thanks to diversification of products I'm sure many of the people on this board sell radar detectors.

One of my film distributors sells them, but I haven't bothered to add them to my business.

But if you post your email address maybe a few people lurking will be nice enough to try to under cut eachother to get your business.

how about some spinner hubcaps! :evilgrin:stop

for real though, its good to see more consumers like this who are understanding, not to pay for some lower end type of film. know how much they're car is worth and by default, is in fact spending a few more bucks for they're new ride. oppose to those bmw owners who want to a 100 dollar job on they're car :lol2

Archived