Applying transfer tape to LARGE decals

How do you do it? Since I'm not used to doing this and I've f**ked up a few already. What is the best way/easiest way to apply transfer tape to larfe decals. I'm talking 24" x 70" stuff that goes on the side of cars.

Guest Al-tint
How do you do it? Since I'm not used to doing this and I've f**ked up a few already. What is the best way/easiest way to apply transfer tape to larfe decals. I'm talking 24" x 70" stuff that goes on the side of cars.

First, if you are doing big work you need big space and big table. Place your big decal on your big table. Have your mask mounted above the table on the end and pull it along the table and tack at the other end. Slide your decal under and lay mask.

My table is 11 feet long and I have masked up to 18 feet.

Guest HeatShrunkSS

First, if you are doing big work you need big space and big table. Place your big decal on your big table. Have your mask mounted above the table on the end and pull it along the table and tack at the other end. Slide your decal under and lay mask.

My table is 11 feet long and I have masked up to 18 feet.

You could also use the "steam roll" method. For this, you will be using 2 rolls of masking. Lay your vinyl out on the table; pull about 6" of masking from one roll and lay it at the end of the vinyl and the table locking it down to the table. Smooth out the little bit that will be touching the vinyl. Then take the other roll of masking and steam roll the part that you're already laid down.

Works every time.

kinda like HS said but if you mount the roll to a wall, have a long table in front with the vinyl on it, pull the premask off to the other end and tack it to the table, line up the vinyl under then slowly squeegee your way back to the roll on the wall, when you get back cut the premask and your done.

set up your table with something like this. I've premasked decals close to 20 ft. long before using this setup.

transfertape.jpg

a picture is worth a couple of dozen words :hmmm

OH YEAH !!! That helps a TON. Thank you guys Soooo much. I've wasted a few rolls trying to mask off some 72" graphics for cars and just got so fed up with it. I knew there had to me a better way. I just threw the towel in and always had my friend help me peel and wet down with baby shampoo solution, move in position then squeegy. I'm gonna build a masking table like that this weekend.

Thanks

Archived