Need some opinions about tint

Guest 06accordse4dr

Guest 06accordse4dr

Hey guys, this is the first time I've posted on this forum, but I've sifted through countless threads ever since I started researching my options for getting the windows on my 06 accord tinted. You guys have definitely given me a lot of useful information, but I still have a few questions:

1.) Anyone in Illinois who can tell me some of their experiences with cops and tint?

2. I don't want to attract attention from cops, and I'm aware that no tint is allowed on the front windows for my state, but just having the back windows tinted looks really stupid. Plus, I've seen sooo many cars with Illinois plates with pretty dark front windows... Any suggestions as to what VLT I could get away with and still look good? Maybe even get the front's tinted lighter than the back? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3.) I know you guys all say that bringing it to a shop is best, but I figured I would ask... What do you guys think about this kit? Snaptint Kit

4.) I'm still debating whether I want to take it to a shop to get it done. Anyone have any recommendations for Chicago area, or Champaign area? My home is in Chicago, but I goto college in Champaign, so either would work. I tried to call the two places listed on this website, but none of them answered.

5.) I have the Silver 06 Accord, any suggestions as to what tints would match well?

6.) Lastly, is there anything else I should know about my car before getting it tinted? I don't want to damage the tint in any way, especially if I fork out the money to get it done professionally. I am already aware of the felt gasket problem, and I'll likely ask the person putting in the tint to put in a felt gasket.

Sorry, I know that was a long read, but you guys know what you're talking about and I wanted your advice before I spent money on this, whether it be the snaptint kit, or paying a professional. Thanks!

Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention that the snaptint kits use solarguard film. I heard good things about this brand.

Guest Bob30

I say go legit. But if you really want to 85 VLT. I think you get UV protection.

Go nothing darker than 70-75 VLT.

Go to a pro, you don't want to deal with the issues.

One time investment will last you a good 5-10 years if you get good quality stuff by a good installer.

3m, Huper, Madco, Llumar name a few others everyone.

Keep in mind Lifetime Warranty is b.s, topic for another day.

Good luck in the windy city

Guest 06accordse4dr
I say go legit. But if you really want to 85 VLT. I think you get UV protection.

Go nothing darker than 70-75 VLT.

Go to a pro, you don't want to deal with the issues.

One time investment will last you a good 5-10 years if you get good quality stuff by a good installer.

3m, Huper, Madco, Llumar name a few others everyone.

Keep in mind Lifetime Warranty is b.s, topic for another day.

Good luck in the windy city

Thanks for your replies! I have contacted some shops in the chicago area, a lot of them seem to use sungard film. Anyone have any opinions on this brand? I also asked them about the felt gasket issue on my 06 accord and none of them knew what I was talking about. One of them even said, "Get back to us if you find out more, we'll be more than happy to put it on if it's necessary" Although he didnt specify if it would cost extra... The shop I've been thinking about is ---, they were pretty professional in how they answered my questions and told me I could drop by anytime to see their shop and their work, but I would need an appointment to actually get any job done. One thing that got me worried was the fact that their warranty covers everything but not scratches...hence I'm still worried about the felt. They also didn't know about the scratching issue on the 06 accords, telling me that they have recently tinted a lot of 06 accords without issue. This shop also uses sungard film. Any opinions on this shop, based on what I have stated here? Anyone have any other recommendations for tint shops in the chicago area?

The scratching issue is HONDA's problem...tinters just try and help with a retrofit. It usually works, but a smart shop owner won't tie himself to a pathetic design/part. Film brands mean little, as they ALL make a good top end film. IF they are using the top end stuff and not the economy line. Economy film from ANY brand generally sucks. :thumb:beer

Guest 06accordse4dr
The scratching issue is HONDA's problem...tinters just try and help with a retrofit. It usually works, but a smart shop owner won't tie himself to a pathetic design/part. Film brands mean little, as they ALL make a good top end film. IF they are using the top end stuff and not the economy line. Economy film from ANY brand generally sucks. :spit:rollin

Hey,

sorry about the previous post, I wasn't aware that naming shops was not allowed...I should probably review the forum rules in full before posting next time. I think I just sent you an email earlier today asking you what you charge for tinting hahaha...anyway, thanks for the response, if what you say is true about shops not wanting to tie themselves up over issues like the felt, would I be able to put the felt on myself after I get the tint job done? I tried to search cr laurence's website for the moleskin to see how much they charge, but for some reason, I couldn't find it anywhere...the page just kept giving me a script error. Do you or anyone else here know where I can obtain the moleskin and instructions on how to put it on, just in case the shop I goto doesnt do it?

Guest 06accordse4dr
You will not be able to install the felt as well as somebody that has been doing it. Why set yourself up for more problems than needed? :DD

I actually just called my local Honda dealer about the gasket issue, the service manager told me that he likes tinting his windows too, and thus far he hasnt seen any complaints regarding the OEM gasket causing scratches in film, as long as I keep it clean and free from dirt/dust/debris, it should never cause any issues at all. He did suggest using a sharp razor and trim off a thin layer on the gasket so that it wasn't pushing against the glass anymore if the issue was that big of a deal for me. He did warn me that if I did this, it may cause more road noise. Opinions?

Archived