Film or me?

Guest razerbern

Guest razerbern

OK I posted my problem in the Intro section of the forum, but I don't think anyone will see it unless they're really bored and come across it. When I "shave" or micro-edge (or attempt to, rather) I'll tack the film on there, get as much slip as I can out of the top edge, yet when I do this I can still peel the tint off. This is a real nuisance because I keep hacking it up, so should I just wait longer before touching the glass with a razorblade or what? I tried a heat gun but the tint tends to peel backwards towards the interior (I know a simple solution would be buying tint that is rolled to the other side, but I want to know how to fix the problem I have with the tint I have in stock right now).

Guest signjoe

Wait a bit longer, and are you heating the OUTSIDE of the glass.....don't heat the inside (where the tint is).....also don't aim your heatgun directly horizontal at the very top of the glass or the tint will curl back due to shrinkage.

Instead, heat the glass with your gun at an angle downward, heating the glass about 2" from the top.....put your other hand on the inside of where you're heating, and when it starts to feel hot move along a couple of inches and heat the next bit (the hot bit will keep heating so don't get it too hot!

Easy thing to show you but hard to explain!

I do this very last thing and don't have problems shaving or filing.

Cheers

Joe

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

why micro edge? cut close at about a 1/16 of an inch and let it ride.work on other areas of tinting and go back to trying micro edge.

why micro edge? cut close at about a 1/16 of an inch and let it ride.work on other areas of tinting and go back to trying micro edge.

I have to agree. Having a straight cut, a close top edge, and a clean job is more important than a shaved edge :thumb

Guest TINTINGCOWBOY

if youre overlapping the edge you might as well file the edge,or as he said heat the exterior of the glass so it sticks and shave it with youre knife

Archived