Would you give up your own business to work for a company??

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West

I am looking for a reliable company to work for, or sub for. I have had my own shop since '83, and quite frankly, I am tired of writing checks to employees bigger than mine. I have had to deal with unreasonable customers, pay the bills, make sure that there is work coming thru the door :beer:thumb

Granted, there have been good times, but unless I'm missing something, this "Freedom" you all talk about has thus far evaded me. I felt like I was married to the shop. I learned early on that if I wanted a week off, the shop closed. period. I left one time and left my employee in charge. BIG mistake. Lots of cash jobs went thru with no reciept, and into his pocket. He made the mistake of tinting two of my friends cars for cash. :beer

So... Yes, I would give it all up to work for a reputable company. For instance security film industry in S Fla. The average gioing rate is around 2.00 per square foot. If a tinter goes in and gets 250 sf, thats 500.00 per day, and more often than not that tinter can be swilling beer on the beach by 2:30 or 3:00. For 2500 to 3000 per week, Show up get your job for the day, none of the hassles? F*ckinA Tweety, I am there!

One company I am talking to will stock me with film, and e-mail me my jobs for the week!!! I wouldn't even have to go in to the office!!! How sweet is that? :beer

I guess the difference in my situation KW is that I don't have any employees and since I just do flat, I don't have a storefront. While it's true when I'm on vacation no money is being generated, either in completed jobs or sales, I don't see a huge negative impact on my business when I am away.

But that deal sounds pretty cool - jobs emailed, film delivered - just go and do it. :beer Can't get much easier then that.

RoAcH

You have been given some good advice on here. You have to do whats right for you. Is the company one you could work for?

I sold my business last year to the same guy I guit working for back in 93, in order to go into business for myself. He owns a glass shop, so it works great. He was a nice guy and helped me to get started back then, and sent allot of work to me over the years. I need to mention that my dad works here as well, so that helps allot. Last year I lost my job I had at night, and was offered a nice deal here to lease the space. But insted I counter offered with my selling him my business, and started working for him. 7 months later, no regrets so far. I would have jumped on the lease deal if it were not for my two autistic children. If it were just me and my wife, if would have stayed on my own. I know how starting up again can be, especially with the slow months coming. Damn going back to jam sandwiches and kids hungry. This deal I have, I get salary plus commision, so no sales, I still get paid. Ask some of the guys around here if they remember those weeks when your'e jumping at every call trying to get paid, and those slow times sitting around just waiting on a call when this is youre only income.

yea I did it. health-dental paid. 401k. paid vacation(two weeks now!)

salary, guarante, if I beat my guarante I get 30% of the ticket

90% new cars 10% come from service but there not real bad, it is a benz beem dealer.

I also get flat glass work out of the dealer.its cool

best thing is, what I say goes.

I needed the stability. thats why I did it.

good luck! :beer

I am looking for a reliable company to work for, or sub for. I have had my own shop since '83, and quite frankly, I am tired of writing checks to employees bigger than mine. I have had to deal with unreasonable customers, pay the bills, make sure that there is work coming thru the door :beer:beer

Granted, there have been good times, but unless I'm missing something, this "Freedom" you all talk about has thus far evaded me.

I felt like I was married to the shop.

The key to having your freedom..at least for me has been to be the sole tinter ..it has obvious drawbacks, but over all has been great!

Archived