Hello Fellow Tinters!

Guest Texasrocker

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zolar
Hello Fellow Tinters! Ive been "lurking" awhile. Im ol Texasrocker. Been tinting flat-g since 1979, and professionally trained in a very-busy auto-tint shop in Austin (Eclipse Window Tint),back in 92-95. I was trained by some of Austins Best Auto Tinters!! I moved to San Angelo in 96, built a new 1200 sq ft (2-bay), and have operated it by myself (all jobs) since opening. My shop is very-nice (small), but 4-tons of cold AC & heat keeps it comfortable year round. I decided the only-way to continue, is by not working for the "owner" on a % basis, trying to run down my paycheck eack week. I am a "Madico" & "Llumar" Dealer, and do Auto, Comm-Res, and have the support of the prof Glass Installers "1st call". Im 53 yrs old ,"knees worn out " (but still tint 99% rear windows 1 pc. due to LOTs of training, always keep R&R music playin ( I was also a professional Tx Musician over 25 yrs-played with Tx Best!), still make money during the summer, & "starve" during the winter! I dont "compete" with low-prices, and still turn out "High Quality" at resonable prices! I dont work in a "high volume" shop anymore to have to be "hurried"!! (Thank God!!). I still turn-em out "1 at a time", as "Quality Work" nothing more or less! I have tried ALL the new "shrinking methods" associated with "progress" of the Film Industry, and went back to the "good ol fashioned wet-shrink method"!! I started off w/ dyed Madico TG series auto-tint, and it outlasted their "NS, Autolux, AB,etc." I have had "Zero" comebacks on the TG series! It may not keep out as much heat, but it Lasts!! After about 7 yrs, it turns kinda a "blue color-not purple", and gets lighter, but "no adhesive failure", unless someone has used a glass cleaner w/ ammonia in it!! I also like Llumar for "flatglass", absolutely no probs!! Anyway, here I am !! Im not "sayin" any one-brand is any better than the other!! "Tinting" is a "Art", and you guys can fill-in the lines!! Peeps out here cant afford "Huper-Optics"!!! ol Texasrocker :beer

Thanks Ya'll !! I really appreciate the Welcome !! Im sure I can keep "updated" here with the other Talented Tinters, that still work in those "Busy Shops", ( dealership work, etc.) in the Bigger Cities than mine. As you guys know, tinting is a " True Art Form", even though most people dont realize!! The new-models of autos each year, present us "artists" with a whole new spectrum of "probs" as your well aware! Sometimes, I still have to sit-back, scratch my head, on the way to "approach" the obsticles!! Luckily, I still have a good buddy, working in a Very Busy Auto Tint Shop in Austin, over 8 installers daily, that I can call on for new vehicles if I need a "heads up". By myself, I only tint about 100 cars per yr. I also rely on "Comm-Res" to pull me thru. My city is 120,000 population, ( 4 competitors w/ $99. 4 dr tints) I dont even "compete" for those!! My "materials" are higher Quality,( visually-optically superior! in comparison) as the "install is also"!!. . I get the "exclusive work", and have a very-good Rep! The professional glass companies call me 1st, for flatglass, because they know I understand "film to glass" more than anyone in this area. Especially "thermal panes" in new homes! My competitors will "install" Anything in stock, from highly-reflective dark tints, to even using auto-tint, on residential-glass!! Thats where my "Amway Seespray" comes in handy on the "X" adhesives!! And LOTs of 4" wallpaper scraper blades, to remove the "damage done" by installers in the past. Maybe they just didnt-know, the "difference" in film adhesive systems?? Who knows?! They did it anyways!! They "had it" on hand during slow-times?? Anyway, I found it, and "corrected it"! As you guys know "thermal-pane" window "seals" can fail on their own anyways!, but these "young-dudes" just didnt understand "thermal seal failure, and breaking glass as a result!! I did my 1st 06 Mustang today, and I learned how to "trick" that gap on the fnt "rollups"!! I clicked the door-lock mechanism up 2-notches till the windows fully closed,(door open), just like we used to have to "trick" the "rear" Chev Surburban hatch-glass! I did 1-pc heat shaped install on the rear-glass (very easy to shrink), got a great-install, but my "knees" are barkin!!! It was a Black 06 Mustang, my Madico TG 35, 20 (rear operas), & 8 % on rear glass looked awesome!! Only prob was "fitting" my big body in that rear seat delivering a 1-pc rear film install !! Got-er-done!!! CLEAN too!! It even surprised ME!!! I played football in HS, and now my "knees" pay me back Bigtime for crawling-round in back of these "frigging Fords 2-Drs"!! Im lookin forward to the next "Dodge PU'!!! Especially one with a "solid glass" rear window!! I have "patterns" from hell"!! Thanks again for the "Welcome"!! I still "hate" my daygig, but its much-better than "diggin-ditches"!!! Hell. somebodys got to do it!!! Just glad I checked in here with the "PROS"!!!, together, we will continue to share ideas, laughter, pains, bitchin, but never forget were ALL "one breed"!! Were "TRUE ARTISTS!!" , Nothin less, and if we can "share" our experiences, help each other, and keep "Tinting" all that Detroit & Japan,Germany,Sweden sends our way, we have done our Job!! Personally, I "HATE" Auto Tinting!!, but seems Im good at it, so if I can "help" in any way, just ask! You guys can sure "Teach Me" also!!! As long as Autos are produced, we need to "lean" on each other for support!! Some are "much-faster" than others indeed!! Sometimes they "have to be"!!!! Depends on the "Shop"!!! Im glad I can now "take my time", 1 auto at a time, and turn-out a Great Tint Job!! Hey, I still "heat down" the critical- edges with my heatgun, and "no-burn" any factory rubber! I also "hard-squeege" 2 or three times carefully, to get ALL the water-out!!! ( Blue Max better than old Yellow tinter squeege, in my opinion)?. Back when I worked in the "money-pitstops", I didnt have that "luxury"!!! I comes down to "quality-install", Not "hurried", takes the "comebacks" completely out of the picture!! ( Just MHO)!!! I also realize that some of you "Pros", dont have that "luxury", and most "dry-out water" on their own after they leave the "high-volume shops"???"" Do they really????? I have more business from shops, that didnt get it "right" the 1st time than anything!! Its comes back to the "personal-installers" sometimes, more than the product itself!!! I can "recognize it", just bet you can see it too sometimes???!!! ol TR

Sorry Ya'LL!! I didnt mean to "ramble" at all !! I will keep my posts much-shorter!!! Just excited to to be here amongst YOU PROS Also!!! I do have many-yrs exp, as You do also!! Im a "ol-fart" with plenty stories from my past in window-tinting!! Know you Guy do too!! Im a newbie-here, but by by All-Means, no newbie to the window-film industry!! Hell, I worked for the 1st "3M flatglass" distributor in Tx way back in 78-79, before "auto-film" was EVER perfected!! Not bragging at ALL!! , Together, we could make a "great attempt" at "heat-shaping" auto film, for the front of a old "hellicopter"?? Im a "ol Fart", but me "no-scare" of difficult curves on glass!! Just as YOU!!! PLEASE dont think Im "braggin" ya'll !! Im NOT!!, but Im a "1-pc" rear installer on the "difficult sh-T!, just as you "Seasoned Pros" Are!! I have a "client list" that would testify!! Over 10 yrs now!! No "seams", even on VW rears!! Just keep "workin" those "fingers" , and keep PLENTY of water,baby shampoo mix, under those "Hands", till you get em to the "finger stages"!! Its easier to do 2-pc "invisiseam", cut across the defroster, BUT!, do you have the "time"??!! VWs "suck" as you all know!! Gotta even heatshape the friggin "rollups"!! Guess I figure I can do the "rear-glass" in one pc, (with much time & love) dedicated to that "fishbowl", perhaps I belong here amongst "Tintdude.com"?? Me and my "Milwaukee Heatgun", can "exit" , if I stir-up too-much of a "fuss" here? Not my intention at all!! Hell, I may need some "advise" down the road, but "so-far", I havent ran across "anything" from any "manufacturer", that I cant apply a 120% auto-tint job on! However, there WILL be that day someday, thats why Im here amongst you "PROS" also!!!! ol TR Thanks Tintdude!! Im ALWAYS open for new-options for heat-shaping!! I still use the "Dinosaur Days" method!!! I still add "baby shampoo" to my 1 qt water "hand sprayer", for the old-style "wet" heat shrink method. Has never let me down yet! , but Im a "ol-fart" too!!, Im not in a "hurry" anymore anyways! I just "do it" the way I was originally-trained! Any "Help" to sucessfully get "faster" on those rear windows will be "muchly-appreciated"!! Remember, Im not in a "hurry"!! And dont plan too be either!! Hey Bro!, I didnt sign on here to try to "sell" anything at all !! However, I "ordered" some Seespray, the "heavy Ammonia-foam stuff" couple weeks ago! Anyone that "remembers" this stuff for "removing" old defective auto-tint, it WORKS !! Everyone is using " Simple Pink" now from the tint-distributors? Anyways, I got 2-cases, but only ordered 1. If any "indie Tint Shops" needs any, I have a extra"Full 12 (big aerosol Cans) if anyone still uses this? IT WORKS!! I have also heard that "Simple Pink" is better? Is that true? Personally, I wear a "paper respirator" over my nose, use the black precut plastic trashbag, spray the Amway Seespray, let it set in the hot-sun for 30-mins., and "Bam"!!, it ALL comes off except the glue, and us "pros" know how to finish it up!!! Im just Very Happy to be here amongst the "PROS"!!! When it comes to window-tinting, we can "share"!!! Hell, I started window-tinting (flat glass) in Dallas, working for John Heinen "Amersol Dallas Inc" first 3-M "Scotchtint" flatglass window-films Dealer ever developed in the DFW area!! Tinted MANY "mega-floor" hi-rise Buildings way back in the old-days, 1 floor at a time!! We always started at the "top floor", and worked our way "down"!! Those "films" were developed, before any "auto-tint" ever hit the market!! I just bet "Tintdude" can remember also!! I am a "Pioneer" now!! Been fully trained too!, Not "braggin" either!! I have "tested" ALL the films avail to the marketplace (Brands), and will be "honest" in my findings of "Quality" to date! Im just ol TR!! Sorry I "rambled" again!!!

whew... :beer

...welcome and shizz :thumb

Texasrocker, "welcome!"

don't let these "guys" give you a "hard" time, just "hazing," you know?

There are "many" here that will "benefit" from your experience, and we may have "good" ideas that are new to you, too.

:thumb

Guest tintman AZ
Thanks Tintdude!! Im ALWAYS open for new-options for heat-shaping!! I still use the "Dinosaur Days" method!!! I still add "baby shampoo" to my 1 qt water "hand sprayer", for the old-style "wet" heat shrink method. Has never let me down yet! , but Im a "ol-fart" too!!, Im not in a "hurry" anymore anyways! I just "do it" the way I was originally-trained! Any "Help" to sucessfully get "faster" on those rear windows will be "muchly-appreciated"!! Remember, Im not in a "hurry"!! And dont plan too be either!! Hey Bro!, I didnt sign on here to try to "sell" anything at all !! However, I "ordered" some Seespray, the "heavy Ammonia-foam stuff" couple weeks ago! Anyone that "remembers" this stuff for "removing" old defective auto-tint, it WORKS !! Everyone is using " Simple Pink" now from the tint-distributors? Anyways, I got 2-cases, but only ordered 1. If any "indie Tint Shops" needs any, I have a extra"Full 12 (big aerosol Cans) if anyone still uses this? IT WORKS!! I have also heard that "Simple Pink" is better? Is that true? Personally, I wear a "paper respirator" over my nose, use the black precut plastic trashbag, spray the Amway Seespray, let it set in the hot-sun for 30-mins., and "Bam"!!, it ALL comes off except the glue, and us "pros" know how to finish it up!!! Im just Very Happy to be here amongst the "PROS"!!! When it comes to window-tinting, we can "share"!!! Hell, I started window-tinting (flat glass) in Dallas, working for John Heinen "Amersol Dallas Inc" first 3-M "Scotchtint" flatglass window-films Dealer ever developed in the DFW area!! Tinted MANY "mega-floor" hi-rise Buildings way back in the old-days, 1 floor at a time!! We always started at the "top floor", and worked our way "down"!! Those "films" were developed, before any "auto-tint" ever hit the market!! I just bet "Tintdude" can remember also!! I am a "Pioneer" now!! Been fully trained too!, Not "braggin" either!! I have "tested" ALL the films avail to the marketplace (Brands), and will be "honest" in my findings of "Quality" to date! Im just ol TR!! Sorry I "rambled" again!!!

Takes me back to when I started in 1980 tinting at Solar-X of TX in Houston tinting the big Skyscrapers. It was alot of fun for a youngster. Just thinking about it now makes me tired.

BTW welcome to the forum, and I wish I could type as fast as you. What you put down would take me about 6 hours.

Archived