Tinting without removing door panels!!

Guest CSCustoms

Guest CSCustoms

I have noticed many remove door panels, I used to do the same thing cause you get a nice result in the end, but have had customers come back complaining that there panel squeeks etc. Seems once the door panel has been removed, it just never seals the same like factory. Also the time involved can get up there to remove the panels and also the chance of breaking clips etc and I'm sure everyone has broken clips from time to time, especially when your not familar with that model is at a high.

I use the easy method on pushing down the rubber seal which doesn't work with all vehicles, but does with most. I most of the time, test it out before tinting. I'll push it down, roll the window down and up to see if it pops up. If so, great!! Then I'll complete the job and mention to all my customers that after so many days when they are ready to roll the windows down to check and see if the seal comes fully up. If not, to stop by asap and I'll pull it back up with the proper tools. This only takes a few minutes of my time, a lot less then pulling panels worrying about breaking and not resealing properly. If they don't come back, then even better. A method that has worked for me for over 8-9 years now.

In the end it all boils down to, "To each thier Own" :lol2

and this would be my method.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen cars in which the rubber has been pushed down and after a couple of days the rubber never returns to its original shape....The window can become very difficult to roll down and even damage window regulators... I'd rather remove a door panel and break a retaining clip than have to replace a power window motor.... I keep an assortment of door panel clips in my tool box just in case. :spit

Seems once the door panel has been removed, it just never seals the same like factory.

this is one of the reasons I love pulling panels all the time. to prove, to people that believe this, wrong. :DD

I'm with thetintpro on this one. plus some cars now have tension sensors that reverse the window direction of the way you want it to go once too much tension (tucked gasket) is detected. letting a customer know you did anything like tucking the gasket OR pulling the panels is a bad idea in my opinion. and leaving the gaskets tucked is even worse. I've tucked and still do tuck on some cars....but it only takes a few minutes to heat the glass up and then untuck the gasket before turning it over to the customer.

Guest tintdawg

I rarely take a door panel off. But I don?t tuck rubbers down that often either. I slip behind most of the time. Some times I use a gasket wizard, that seems to help with the tight seals. With car companies using cheaper materials, I would refrain from tucking, to reduce the chances of damaged seals. I really don?t want the customer to return to pull up the rubbers, just for them to see the damn thing rip right in front of their eyes.

and with panels holding more and more electronics and air bags, removing door panels, are becoming a hassle as well. Try to learn all the ?Tricks? for more options.

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

im with tintdawg,slipping it in her behind... I mean behind the gasket is the way to go, watch the top of the film doesnt touch anything but glass :thumbdown

Guest CSCustoms

I do all methods above because of course all seals can't be pushed down. I slip the tint in behind also when needed, but when it comes to removing door panels. Just not for me, waste of time and not needed and haven't had a problem in the long time I have been tinting.

Again, to each their own.

Guest Apocalypse

I'm fairly new to tinting and have never really seen a need to pull, push, remove any of the seals. Every car that I have done, I've been able to slide the film in between the seal. Is this not the best way? It has worked so far.

If I tuck a seal, I always pull them back up. Leaving them down causes problems. On some Nissans, if you leave the gasket tucked, and the customer rolls the window down, it can rip the gasket completely off. I dont like pulling panels either, but if I get a Lexus IS250 or a late 90's early 2000 Volvo, I pull the panel. Luckly Ive been doing this long enough to know which vehicles are better to pull panels, gaskets, or which I can tuck/untuck.

An example: I can easily do a Ford Ranger w/o tucking or pulling a panel, but since they are so easy to pull a panel, I pull them. Rather do a window one time.

Seems once the door panel has been removed, it just never seals the same like factory.

this is one of the reasons I love pulling panels all the time. to prove, to people that believe this, wrong. :lol

I'm with thetintpro on this one. plus some cars now have tension sensors that reverse the window direction of the way you want it to go once too much tension (tucked gasket) is detected. letting a customer know you did anything like tucking the gasket OR pulling the panels is a bad idea in my opinion. and leaving the gaskets tucked is even worse. I've tucked and still do tuck on some cars....but it only takes a few minutes to heat the glass up and then untuck the gasket before turning it over to the customer.

Its ok HE'S from CANANDA!!!

Archived